GT86-Ian

oil cooler

Had a new oil cooler fitted today at fensport,oil temp before was 210F , now 178F so not bad well pleased with the results.

Also had the car remapped with the latest Ecutek software, at first I thought all the extra power was up the top end, but once off the motorway & driving in town you can feel the difference its so much better :)

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

Those temperatures, 81C is just normal operating temperature. 

210F = nearly 100C which is well within limits. So I wouldn't say your temps were anyway high at all before. I am surprised that 20C difference would be even noticable. 

You'll need the cooler on track with the turbo, but I doubt it would be such an issue on the road. 

Ian... despite the disguise you're a real petrolhead... :lol:  

Agree with you about a cooler for track use, Lauren.

My oil temperature is running at 80-90C in the sump but the Torque app shows temp in block at 95-105C. This is road use - on track oil temp according to Torque goes up to 105-120C . Snetterton will be my first chance to see what the sump temp reaches on track.

Also the additional oil used to fill the cooler itself  - mebbe 1litre? - will reduce the running temp as well, as it adds 20% to the oil volume... fitting a cooler is on my 'to do' list.. ( actually, what  I mean is 'get Fensport to do' list...  B) )

Spec K

yes I agree with lauren ive only purchased this because of the two track days booked so far, I just don't want to risk anything, Adrain converted the 210f temperature into Celsius & said it was fine.

Keith ive a more to do list also, Fensport have just got those door mirrors in im after, every other colour except orange :blink:

Can you not put a valve on the oil lines so the Oil cooler doesnt function until the oil gets up to at least 110C - you really want the oil to be above the boiling point of water.

If it's of any use, I was hitting 125C on track in 30C at Donny last July. To be fair I just backed off a bit on the straights and it would drop a good 5C a bit more if you really eased it off and then go back up to 125C. Interestingly it didn't seem to get hotter than that, it's almost like it levelled off.

So, for an NA, even on track I don't think it's really necessary, unless you were doing full length races which are not what trackdays are about of course.

On the road I regularly see 100C, pretty common for motorway cruising.

125 is the most I have seen uncooled, again at Donnington in the sun. Air temp was 36 when I did the Ring but engine temps not as high as Donny , given the nature of the drive.

Think the cooler is sensible for track use

I have fitted an oil cooler to my car as well.  Slightly different arrangement to Ian's.  Photo's in my mod thread on the 'other' forum, I will post them on here when I get back home on Thursday, nothing like a bit of variety :)

Can you not put a valve on the oil lines so the Oil cooler doesnt function until the oil gets up to at least 110C - you really want the oil to be above the boiling point of water.

I believe there is already a thermostat in the system which prevents the oil flowing through the cooler until it's above 80C.

I always let mine idle for a couple of minutes after a thrash.. it allows the turbo to cool down and the oil temp to stabilise... usually above 100C so water in the oil is not an issue. There again, I don't use cheap oil... Millers Nanotech..

Remember - never put your handbrake on... as the rear brakes cool down the handbrake shoes can seize on..

Spec K

ah right okay.

Surprised that thermostat opens at 80C. I would have thought it would only begin to work as the oil temp goes above normal working temp of the stock car. Im no expert though.

All thermostats on oil coolers open at 80C. 80C is the operating temperature of the engine. So the idea is that it keeps the oil temperature as close to 80C as it can. 

I fitted an oil cooler on my AE86, it's a huge 19 row. On track we still got the oil temperature up to 97C, but I couldn't get it over that. Our measurement was taken off the cooler itself though, so likely higher than the actual oil temperature. 

I'm waiting for the days when people start making those covers out of chrome or polished stainless... I think a clear Perspex one would be good, you'd hardly notice it...

Otherwise, they're handy for ensuring that nothing gets chewed by the alternator belt, or the alternator belt doesn't get chewed by anything - its kinda important since it also runs the water pump...

All thermostats on oil coolers open at 80C. 80C is the operating temperature of the engine. So the idea is that it keeps the oil temperature as close to 80C as it can. 

I fitted an oil cooler on my AE86, it's a huge 19 row. On track we still got the oil temperature up to 97C, but I couldn't get it over that. Our measurement was taken off the cooler itself though, so likely higher than the actual oil temperature. 

The GT86 clearly wasnt designed to work at 80C. Cruising on the motorway you will observe 105C on a stock car.

I went for a hoon today. 14C ambient and managed to pull 128C peak oil temp. I do thrash the car more than most though.

As far as I can tell the Subaru forester FA20DIT oil cooler is the best option. It warms the oil up quicker but cools it a bit when it gets hot. Importantly it doesn let the oil drop much below 100C in the winter. Win Win and Win. All I need to see now is that it doesnt affect oil pressures and I will be fitting one....

Due to water injection and Having much cooler iats it has giving all cooling a knock on effect. Oil temps are lower rarely hit 113. Coolant sticks at 90. Iats peak at 45. That's on very hard driving. Its my weekend toy so its not a pootle kind of car, I blitz it on weekends.

As for oil temps if you use a good oil your good to go from 115-150 degrees.

As for a oil cooler for track I suppose it won't hurt as all cooling is good but for road no need.

Having much cooler iats has giving all cooling a knock on effect. Oil temps are lower rarely hit 105. Coolant sticks at 90. Iats peak at 45. That's on very hard driving.

So you are saying that cooler denser air which has given you more explosive force to give you more power combusts cooler as well therefore transfering less heat to the engine block and therefore the fluids used to cool it?

I don't quite get that one but hopefully someone can help me get my head around it

As for a oil cooler for track I suppose it won't hurt as all cooling is good but for road no need.

That not nessessarily true. Hotter oil = lower pressure. Is anyone paying attention to Oil pressure? If you dont have enough oil pressure in the crank bearings with these turbo'd/Supercahrged cars you can kiss goodbye to them.....

Adding an oil cooler might cooler the oil but the extra flow may reduce pressure further. From what I ahve seen over on the ft86club people are getting 42-54PSI @ 7kRPM @ 116C oil temp. If you are one of those 10PSI per 1KRPM people this should worry you! The car bone stock had 52-55 PSI at the same oil temperature.....

I am going to fit a Defi Oil pressure guage and do some proper testing.I'll report back....

Interesting... So far no ones blown engines yet though mate. Some running big power and crazy heat figures.

I'm just on the other end of the scale. Decent power cool temps.

But your feed back will be good reading.