keelerad

Trip to Demon-Tweeks in Wrexham Saturday am

I was going to pop across to Demon-tweeks to have a look round tomorrow am, Lauren has decided to come along as well, anyone else fancy it ?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

Lauren and I will be setting off from hers in Manchester about 745am and probably getting to Demon Tweeks some time just after 9am

Alec

Doh....if only I saw this earlier....would have gone to bed earlier and tried to make this if I had known  :P  I've been meaning to pop over to test fit the helmet I've been wanting to get rather than just randomly ordering off the internet.  Ah well...I've got other things I can be spending my money on  :D

Okay, success. Both Alec and I bought a helmet!

9am this morning! 

1469746_10151702572986467_748329982_n.jp

Helmet purchased as both my other two are nine and eleven years old respectively, so about time I got a new one. Went for an open face this time for trackdays. 

1460201_10151702734306467_999340960_n.jp

Just really for track days I don't think a full face is necessary. My other two are full face. One is a cheapish motorbike helmet and the other is my race helmet which is fire retardant as well of course. I don't think I'd race with an open face helmet but it will certainly be more comfortable for track days and allow me to be heard a little easier when I'm talking. 

I agree open face is the winner, it's what I will get seems silly to have a full face with visor when you're inside a car!

Only time you might want a full face is if you were likely to be going in an open car like a caterham

Anyone know if they have low-profile helmets?

I have to sit at a poor angle to fit my big head in with a helmet on...

It's bearable for short the short stints in a track day, but I'd prefer to be sitting closer to my normal driving position

Quixote - good place to ask/try is at the Autosport Show, NEC Birmingham, January. Group of us from the Club joining up on Saturday (special price/parking). See 'Events' thread - Keethos has threatened to buy the place...

The only reason for buying a 'full face' is if you intend to drive open sports cars, like a Caterham, or compete at Le Mans. Yes - BTCC wear full face but they don't wear visors. My previous helmet was full face (with visor) and, with spectacles, it was a pain - pushed the rims into my nose and fogged up my lenses. Nothing I could find fitted the bill... you may be luckier at NEC..

Good news is that, with Lauren's collection of track-titfers, you might not need to hire at a trackday! :)

Spec K

I agree that open faces are more comfy but my face gets all squished together and it's not a pleasant sight so I'd prefer to get a full face one....to hide this fugly face.....but I also would like to drive an open top car at some point in my life.....what about when karting?  Are you allowed to wear open face helmets while karting??

I would guess they would want you to wear a full face when karting, if something got flicked up off the track from the kart in front you wouldn't want to catch it in the face