Sign in to follow this  
Riceburner

PS4 orXBOX ONE

We'd go for the PS4 as Mark loves Sony and we've had all the previous generations. Thing is all we use the playstation for is for playing blurays and the occasional use of vidzone (though the recent addtion of adverts has put me off it). Is it worth it for that? 5 days of playing GTA5 and now I'm bored with it, tells me I'm not much of a gamer.

Chances are I'll eventually get both but I'll most probably be getting a PS4 first.......though don't think I'll be getting one yet.....possibly during the new year when there are some deals to be had....but I left the pre-order to late and now most places are sold out or can't guarantee one units soon. Plus I've still got boat loads of games that I've got and need playing/finishing and I've still got a massive list of games that I've been meaning to get and play through.....but it feels like I never have much time anymore :32 (11):sad times!

Rob Excuse my ignorance but what is the steam OS?

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/Steam OS is based around Steam, a program for the PC which you can buy games and they are all stored on steam, the idea of the OS is that you can build your own console of buy one pre-made. They are creating their own operating system for it based on Linux. The benefits Steam OS look good, but it's early days. I hope it takes off as it could potentially bring good competition to Sony and Microsoft :)The Operating System is free to download so when it's released you can have a free console if you have a half decent PC lying around!

I haven't really read or heard much about the Steam Boxes etc, what exactly will they consist of? Are they basic PC's designed to connect TV's to the internet and play games of Steam servers like Onlive or are they proper gaming high performance PC's designed to connect to TV's?

they range from i3's with 680 GPU's to Haswell i7's with Titan GPU's in, essentially a high performance PC but in a box the size similar to a PS4 etc. They can only stream from a local network. Onlive was a bit of a flop imho due to quality.

they range from i3's with 680 GPU's to Haswell i7's with Titan GPU's in' date=' essentially a high performance PC but in a box the size similar to a PS4 etc. They can only stream from a local network. Onlive was a bit of a flop imho due to quality.[/quote'] I have no idea what the hell you are talking about LOL

Put it this way, the Steam Systems could potentially be 3-fold the power of a PS4.If you didn't know what onlive was, it was a small program you could run which actually streamed games from a cloud, it kind of flopped though. It is still running though so if you wanted to check it out its here: http://www.onlive.co.uk/Problem was the quality was bad, nobody really had fibre at the time so they limited the quality. It could easily be streamed at 1080 these days making it a much better quality but then the subscription would most likely be higher due to requiring more power in the cloud. It's still cool to have for tablets, you can download an app and get a bluetooth gamepad :)

The only issue is, pretty much all of the games now days are designed and developed for PS3/4's and Xbox 360/One's and PC games are just ports/after thoughts, so doesn't matter how powerful your PC is, there will be hardly any truly amazingly power hungry awesome games out for these uber PC's.Yeah, it was a cool idea (I even got a mini console thing for your TV for free from Eurogamer couple years back.....couldn't even sell the bugger as no one wanted it :32 (39): But yeah, even though you were streaming 1080p resolution, you could still tell you were streaming a video....plus there was still some lag with the controls.

This is true, and it's a shame that the games which were once good, Battlefield being a prime example are now developed on console and ported, needless to say Battlefield will never be as good as 1942 or 2 was, unless of course EA decide differently. Which they won't as they are money hungry scum. Unlike valve, which is why I love the idea of Steam OS, the only good games on PC currently is DOTA and SC2, which thankfully will never be on console alas RTS and MOBA games will never be ruined.But BF3 and BF4 are still good games, but the lag compensation implemented in to them means that actually, they cannot be played competitively. To the majority of console players of course this doesn't matter. But for PC, Battlefield 2 used to be pretty competitive. Luckily DOTA and many other MOBA's such as LOL has a large competitive following meaning probably at a guess £4million in prize money per year it pushed in to it.I'm not completely hating on consoles, I think they are great for third person shooters, racing and platform. But the rest are better played on PC in my opinion. I only ever used my PS3/Xbox 360 for forza, gt5, gta and rayman pretty much. (Not worth me forking out £400 odd really)

Had the xbox one pre ordered for months. Cancelled last monday as I realised I wasn't terribly excited to play any of the launch games. "The money could be spent on other things", I told the wife. Few days later I bought the gt86. Gt86> xbox1

Had the xbox one pre ordered for months. Cancelled last monday as I realised I wasn't terribly excited to play any of the launch games. "The money could be spent on other things", I told the wife. Few days later I bought the gt86. Gt86> xbox1

That is one good logic and result!!!

Both on day one, because that's definitely the way forward ;)But Xbox One will be my staple, just like '360 has been - better online, better social features (PS4 looks like it's improved, but that remains to be seen), and in general the console I'm used to.

PS4... It'll just work.Plus it's what all my mates are aiming for.Your gaming platform of choice should primarily be based on what your gaming buddies will have, rather than choosing the best. I've learnt that with too many betamax moments!

just like '360 has been - better online' date=' better social features[/quote']i have to say i've been cursing at my 360 the last few times i've turned it on (doesn't happen all too often, i admit) because it refuses to log me into Live automatically. so i go to do it manually and it keeps asking me to provide an alternate email (F***ING MICROSOFT)... and i cannot figure out what's going on that makes it do it every time.on the topic: as the Xbone has been delayed in Belgium, i'll just have the PS4. but now that Watch Dogs (Q2 2014) and Driveclub (Q1 2014) have been delayed, i'm starting to reconsider getting it right away.