Sign in to follow this  
Captain Duff

are these things normal?

Nothing too major thankfully, but a couple of issues that I don't know whether are natural for the car or an issue with mine:1. I get a rattle/buzz from the gear shaft (seems quite far down) when in 2nd and 4th (worse in 2nd). Not all the time, but often (doesn't make any difference whether car is cold/warm).2. Occasional lumpy idle/shudder (I know 4 cylinder cars are never smooth), and up and down revs in idle (between 500 and 900 rpm), not related to using aircon etc. Also I've noticed that sometimes when the engine is still reasonably cold at idle when stopped at lights the engine starts reving between 6-800 rpm in a regular up and down way and when my foot is nowhere near the pedal. I've never had warning lights, or a stall.Any thoughts would be welcome (car is currently stock).

My gear stick makes a rattle/buzz but only when I'm high up in revs and while under load, guessing it might have something to do with the reverse gear lever but no idea what we could do to fix this....not taken it to my dealer about it yet (though not confident that they will be able fix it).As for the rough idle, have you had the ecu update?

Well in theory the ecu flash is up to date given it's a new car, however that isn't an absolute guarantee. My initial hunch was ecu and I took it back to the dealer last month and asked them to check. After waiting for 2 hours I was then told that the mechanic had been out for a drive in it (but no mention of a confirmation of up to date ecu flash) and couldn't find anything wrong, although as the car was warm that didn't surprise me, or at least not as much as the feeling that I had wasted a morning so an employee could have a nice ride out in something other than a auris. Needless to say it's another reason why they are unlikely to get my servicing custom...

LOL, same here, that's why I'll most probably be making the extra effort and 2 hours drive (one way) to get my next service done by Rich at RRG Macclesfield, that way I know it'll get done right!

Hmm, my gearbox makes quite a few noises. Sounds like input shaft bearings and the like. I think it's probably normal, but I do wonder at the longetivity of the gearbox given it makes a fair few noises already. As for the idle issue, well it is important to check your ECU is up to date. I still get the occasional dip, though nothing like the problem I had which was induction kit related. I think the occasional flutter is nothing to worry about. I reckon it would be great if the car idled just a little higher in the first place thus avoiding these issues!

My gearbox does the same,My idle also does the same, it never used to but since having it remapped by Adrian it's had the same idle you described. Adrian uses the latest Toyota map available so we can assume yours is up to date :)So my thoughts are, nothing wrong just a bit paranoid as it's a shiny new car!

Mine does both.There is a thread on ft86club.com about shifter rattle - I think, because I can't bloody find it... - and I get the same idle wobble occasionally when cold but it never gets totally out of control and I just call it "character" :-)

With the idle issue, if you can just set the car running and let it idle for a while and see what happens. My one would eventually throw the check engine light. When I took it to Toyota at least they had the smarts to think - it's an idling problem, lets let it just idle for 15 minutes and see what happens (rather than taking it for a drive?!).

They should be able to check if you've got the latest ECU version as well.