Sign in to follow this  
TommyC

DIY Phone holder, Head unit blanks, and USB connection

I fitted a Pioneer head unit and did a bit of DIY fabricating etc.

Not too sure about the Wood grain on the headunit blanks. They're made of Oak. I might sand them back and fill them so they're just smooth.

The phone holder bracket fits into my phone case of Sat-Nav using Google Maps. It's a piece of Ali plate that's screwed ro the side of the headunit into some unsued mounting holes. 'No interior trim was harmed in the making of this' 😆

The USB was because I wanted to have my iPod in the central cubby plugged in with no trailing cables through the cabin. It's an ebay cheapy but does the job. I didn't want to chop up the standard wiring to make the factory one work with the headunit, so it's now redundant 😕 But things are hidden and kinda clean looking so I'm happy 🙂

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

I hadn't considered doing it in wood... would you be so kind as to share the proportions? I have a notion of 3d printing inserts, what with not having a wood workshop or tools... I guess I could dremel it, but it would be uneven as anything.

On 24/10/2018 at 9:34 PM, nerdstrike said:

I hadn't considered doing it in wood... would you be so kind as to share the proportions? I have a notion of 3d printing inserts, what with not having a wood workshop or tools... I guess I could dremel it, but it would be uneven as anything.

I'll see what I can draw and label up for you. Although I used my Router Table for the radius on the top and bottom because I have a cutter with the perfect profile 😁

I had also considered making some from recycled HDPE plastic (which I have experimented with a little). I'll keep you updated of any progress with this 🙂

Ok, so here's my attempt at a dimensioned drawing for you Nerdstrike...

IMG_3342.JPG

Can't remember what First angle or Third angle projection is these days 😳 (was 20 years ago when I did my Engineering OND).

Anyway here's some more pictures with the right hand one (There's obviously a cut out in the left hand one for the phone holder bracket, but I guess you don't need the dimensions for that?!).

IMG_3343.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3345.JPG

The overhang at the front fits the step in my headunit on either side.

Also just noticed I didn't put the height...

It's 100mm.

(All dimensions in mm. Forgot that too 😳)

Yeah, they just slot in and stay put by themselves. They're 35mm deep so they rest against the headunit mounting brackets.

I'm not sure whether to drill a small hole in the brackets and screw the blanks in from behind. They'll probably get in the way of bolting the headunit back in though 🙄

Best option would be some kind of clip so they push in from the front, once the headunit and trim are fitted, and click in and stay put... 🤔

10 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

Also, you should have gone for polished walnut, so you could have some Jaguar style in your life.

I do have some bits of yellow banded walnut...

Wasn't sure that the wood and plastic would go well together 🤔

The wood grain looks slick, keep it!

I’m digging the phone holder too. Much better than them brodit ones.

Just don’t know if I can bring myself to put my phone in a case for the magnet

31 minutes ago, KAS said:

The wood grain looks slick, keep it!

I’m digging the phone holder too. Much better than them brodit ones.

Just don’t know if I can bring myself to put my phone in a case for the magnet emoji848.png

It's not a magnetic holder if that's what you mean?

https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/

It's a twist lock/un-lock mounting built into the back of the case. I'll pop my phone out of it and get more photos 🙂

You don't have to have a full case, there's a mount that goes straight onto the back of your phone instead...

IMG_3371.PNG