Just thought I would update on this topic even though it was some time ago. I fitted the stainless steel flexible lines, did notice some improvement although brakes still felt a little 'wooden'. So later I decided to fit the new pads to see if that was the issue, I found the front pads on one side were stuck in the carrier at an angle causing the pads to wear unevenly. I had to use a mallet to remove the pads from the carrier - they were that stuck. At the same time I replaced the discs, now the brakes feel fine. The car had a Toyota service history, and had even been in for noisy brakes although they weren't noisy for me.