Jay Bamrah

Whiteline Gearbox Bush Insert - GT86 & BRZ REVIEW

I've used the Superpro version, which appears to be pretty much the same thing, and it definitely made a good difference for the price. It took out some of the slop in the drivetrain, and the car felt more secure, it got rid of that slight 'lurch' you get as the engine moves when coming on/off the throttle quickly. It also made shifting feel much nicer - both the actual movement of the gearknob, and the engagement of the clutch. Kind of hard to explain, but because the gearbox is more solidly mounted, it felt like as you pushed the stick into gear, less energy from your hand movement was being absorbed by the transmission moving on it's soft mounts, and it gave a slicker, more positive feeling to the shift. It won't be a night and day difference, but for the price and the ease of fitment, you can see why so many people rave about it. 

The downside is slightly increased noise. I noticed as soon as I started the engine that a little more engine noise was transmitted to the cabin, and at idle, you can hear the transmission whirring a bit more. Accelerating in lower gears, you will hear some gear whine (which isn't actually that unpleasant, in a "because racecar" sort of way :D). Once you're up to speed, it's not much more noticeable, and most reviews I read before I installed it said most people just tuned it out, or actually preferred the noise.

Because I'm a bit of a fanny when it comes to NVH, I took it out after a week and instead replaced the entire transmission mount with the uprated TRD version. This gives the same advantages in feel, but because it's still all rubber, it doesnt transmit the noise form engine/gearbox so much. This is a much more expensive option though, think it cost me about £158, as opposed to the Superpro mount which was about £33.

As a result. I am now selling it on, as it was only used for probably less than 100 miles, so if you want to take it off me and give it a try, I have a thread in the For Sale section :). It's pretty easy to fit, and if it's not for you, it's just as easy to remove again. Not a lot to be lost by at least trying it. 

I'd considered one of the available bushes for this, but as it's my only car and it often ends up on 500 mile runs going to places on holidays I decided against it.

I only just about kept my sanity driving up to Aberdeen a couple of years ago.8 hours each way 😂

I had the Whiteline insert done at my first service 6 years ago I think, seemed to make shifting smoother so for the money it's a good mod to try, although I was always happy with my gearbox and never had the issues some did (did get some stick buzzing under acceleration in 3rd and 5th in the early days, now gone, and like most people I still get the odd bit of 1st to 2nd stiffness on a cold morning but nothing major).