Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

RRG Macc' modified TRD review

Now, I should start by saying that RRG Macc' are somewhat enthusiastic about their GT86's and it comes as no surprise that their GT86 TRD did not stay standard for long. First off an Injen Induction kit went on, shortly followed thereafter by a custom four tailpipe rear section to the exhaust courtesy of local experts, JP Exhausts. A decat and overpipe were also added at this point. So already the car sounds quite different from the standard TRD model which I have to say was just a bit too quiet. The workmanship on the JP rear section is lovely and of obvious quality. Wish I'd taken a decent picture of it now!However, all these modifications were done when the car arrived, it is really the more recent modifications that are perhaps of more interest. Richard at RRG received some more TRD goodies in the post and it didn't take long to put them on the car. These are the TRD strut brace which is pretty and pretty light in carbon:Posted Image A close up of the mounting brackets which are typically neat:Posted ImageA view along the strut brace:Posted ImageWell, it feels rigid enough and is certainly serious bling, but are there benefits? We shall find out. Also perhaps the modification that has raised a lot of interest is that of the TRD door closers that act to improve the torsional rigidity of the chassis. It is said that they help to ensure a more linear steering response under load. A novel idea I admit and a modification I've not seen on other cars. Still, they look pretty cool. Posted ImageIn the section that attaches to the door closer, the topmost part slides when the door closes. This is so that it mates with it's corresponding part that attaches to the door. I didn't notice any difference in how the door seemed to close over a standard setup. Posted ImageSo time to find out what it is like on the road. I should also add that the TRD comes with 18" ten spoke wheels running 225/40/18 Yokohama Advan AD08 tyres. I will admit there was a part of me that wondered whether the extra grip from the wider grippier tyres would dominate the driving experience and feel a bit over-tyred or like the car is 'on rails' which to me would have spoiled the experience. The fun about handling is that you need to work the car in it's slip angle which is the angle or degree you can slide the tyres beyond the point of adhesion until they give up completely. This for me is the fun part of driving. I needn't have worried though as it transpired. The car does generate more grip than the Primacy HP Michelins, there is no doubt of that. Conditions were 30C and hot and sunny. The route I took is perhaps a well known one, a triangle of roads around Macclesfield to Bosley and then up the A54 and down the infamous Cat & Fiddle (A537) which joins Buxton to Macclesfield. In my racing days I used to train around this route mostly in the winter when the roads were quiet. Unfortunately for me the roads were not so quiet, but never mind there were opportunities to test the chassis. As I was driving the RRG demo TRD and I wasn't going to be doing any drifting I put it in sport mode once I found everything being left on in terms of traction and stability control was starting to hamper progress. With the modifications tested, any difference is going to be subtle. As is always the case with these things everything tends to compliment each other. RRG do have a full TRD underbody bracing set to fit and I expect that will make more of a difference. My feelings upon driving the car and through some spirited cornering on some undulating roads is that the front end does feel perhaps a little sharper than standard. I'm not sure that turn in on a standard car is in any way woolly, but these modifications have to help proceedings, to some extent, I feel. Perhaps a better way to describe it is that the front end of the car especially under a high load during turn in to a corner inspires confidence and this is no bad thing. This car has 2900 miles on the clock compared to my car with 14500 miles under it's wheels. Naturally it hasn't loosened up in respect of the engine, gearbox and to a degree the chassis that mine has, however it should be noted that the JP four tip exhaust sounds just brilliant. I do think that having some noise from the rear accompanied with the induction roar of the Injen Induction kit always results in the driving experience feeling that bit more involving when you're on the pace. I like that, a lot! Overall these additional modifications are certainly nice bits of kit. The difference is subtle rather than obvious, but there is no doubting the quality of the items. I look forward to seeing the difference the underbody bracing makes. :)Here's a sneak preview of the underbody bracing (still wrapped to keep all the part numbers with the parts!): Posted ImagePosted ImageJust a couple of pics of the car:Posted ImagePosted Image

Cheers, Gregg, the strut brace is indeed a lovely bit of kit. I think really it's when you've got all this added with the other braces that cummatively it will make a big overall difference. It certainly sets the scene for further chassis bracing modifications. I look forward to having a go when all the TRD bracing kit is on. :)

This morning presented me with the opportunity to try out some more additions to the RRG Macc' GT86 TRD. Last time I sampled the strut brace and TRD door closers. The has now been fitted with a full TRD chassis bracing kit. This comprises of a number of parts that effectively help to provide more rigidity to the car by triangulating points on the chassis where flex might be present. Here is the TRD chassis bracing kit:Posted ImageAnd in situ on the car:Posted ImageI couldn't not mention the latest TRD addition to the interior. Not cheap, but it does look good! Posted ImageSo, like last time, my route was an anti-clockwise triangle taking in the A534 road to Bosley, then onto the A54 taking me to the plateau on the A537 and then down the infamous Cat & Fiddle. However, this time it was rather foggy. Unfortunately a good part of the road was so obscured with fog that I could do nothing but drive slowly until I could see again. Posted ImagePosted ImageDespite this, which was a somoething of a dissapointment to my passenger who'd never been on the Cat and Fiddle before. I did my best to describe what the scenery looks like when you can actually see it. But what about the car? Well, I did have an opportunity to push the chassis in a few brief places. There is a definite sharpening of how the car feels. The most obvious difference can be felt in the steering which has gained more precision. There is also a tangible difference in feedback in the steering, whereby you feel a tad more vibration. However, this is in a good way and the information coming through the wheel is clear and precise. This gives the car a great feeling down a B-road and inspired confidence in what the car was doing and how much grip there was in the road surface. The whole car felt taughter and perhaps the difference was felt the most when I got to drive my standard car home. The addition of the TRD chasiss bracing is certainly the biggest factor in regard to sharpening the responses and increasing the rigidity of the GT86 chassis. On balance this is a very worthwile modification indeed, for the more accurate steering feel alone. I think i need to start saving! :)Posted ImagePosted Image​

i was thinking the same thing. START SAVING. i'm not sure how much it all costs, but i'm pretty sure it's a pretty penny.plus the fact that chassis bracing isn't permitted (as far as i know) in Belgium, as it messes with the crumple zones (i think)...... so question is: is it worth the effort/hassle/money?

Nice write up Lauren, shame you didn't have a nice clear day for a proper run and to show Keith around, speaking of Keith, if your still with him, give him a nudge to get him to give us an update on his car please :32 (20):So how much of a difference would these braces be without the other components that were initially installed (i.e. the door stabilizers and engine strut brace)? And I take it that this doesn't affect ride at all?

Great write up Lauren! Enjoyed it a lot! That's exactly the kind of mod (the complete bracing kit) that probably interests me the most at the moment in the case of my own 86 and your assessment of it ticks the boxes for me! :32 (12):

Well, it's a worthwhile mod. The burning question is, can we get the parts at a reasonable price? TRD stuff seems to be very expensive. There is more difference IMO with the chassis bracing than the strut brace and door closers on their own. But, I guess that is not particularly surprising. The most obvious difference is with the steering feel. The front end of the car does feel far more precise. I was reminded of this when I drove my car home and it lacked the precision that I noted when driving the TRD. I know Richard is working hard to get TRD parts for reasonable prices, so watch this space!

Ob. There is no more oversteer or understeer, it was more that the steering feel changed. It is more precise. You simply get more steering feel as there are more vibrations (of the good kind) transmitted to the wheel which make the steering feel sharper and more precise. As a result you can place the car more accurately. Ian, yes I drove Keith's car albeit briefly. Again his steering was more accurate as a result of his chassis bracing too.