NathanT

Quietest stainless catback?

Hi all,

Looked on the forums here & ft86club, & couldn't find anything close to what I'm looking for. 

I've currently got a Cobra non-resonating catback & backbox, but find its MUCH too loud since I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood, so I'm aiming to replace it with something as close to OEM volume as possible & add an exhaust cutout for the choice between quiet & loud, but would like it to be stainless steel to it wont rust.

What catbacks & backboxes have you run, & how close to stock volume were they?

Are you running a catless header?

The Hayward and Scott system with helmholtz that myself and @3782mc use are very quiet in comparison to a lot of aftermarket ones I've heard, even with catless header with oem front pipe, then slightly more noise when swapping out the front pipe for hfc / decat.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, willclarke said:

Are you running a catless header?

The Hayward and Scott system with helmholtz that myself and @3782mc use are very quiet in comparison to a lot of aftermarket ones I've heard, even with catless header with oem front pipe, then slightly more noise when swapping out the front pipe for hfc / decat.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Everything is stock besides the downpipe & backbox atm. I'll have a look on youtube for the one you're using & see how it sounds. Thank you :)

Invidia Q300 is the quiestest aftermarket exhaust for this car. Pretty much every aftermarket exhaust is made from 304 stainless, its a common grade stainless so its pretty cheap but it still rusts, just not as quickly.

By exhaust cutout do you mean you want a valved exhaust? To switch between quiet and loud? Its possible but it will be expensive and nobody has done it.  

1 hour ago, Varelco said:

Invidia Q300 is the quiestest aftermarket exhaust for this car. Pretty much every aftermarket exhaust is made from 304 stainless, its a common grade stainless so its pretty cheap but it still rusts, just not as quickly.

By exhaust cutout do you mean you want a valved exhaust? To switch between quiet and loud? Its possible but it will be expensive and nobody has done it.  

There are loads on youtube that have done a custom exhaust cutout on a gt86.

Some replace them after a year or so because the cheap valve gets stuck in one or the other position. If you want a cutout go for a proper system like an Xforce Varex, where it is all built in.