Sign in to follow this  
rob275

rob275's Audio Install

I'm going to put this here, once it's done i'll put it all in to my blog but this will be in dribs and drabs at the moment.So what I am doing... My last install was an SPL install topped at just over 130db, this will be an SQ Install. I have some Rainbow SAX comps which i intend to use, and i'm a big fan of JL Audio so i'm either going with a JL w3 which i've had before, cracking sub and indestructible. Or i will go with a TW5, what steve has installed. Probalbly a class D amp from JL also as they are extremely small for what they are...My Plans for the boot is to either raise the boot floor to the level of the latch and countersink the sub under acoustic carpet so it isn't visible.or..Install it in a fibreglass block tucked to the side.I am probably going to go for the counter sunk option as it will look tidier, i've never fibreglassed in my life and i'd rather not fuck a £25k car boot up due to my incompetence...So upon payday i'm going to be buying the sound deadening and hopefully get that sorted, get some mdf, measure up everything. As long as i make my mind up which sub i'm getting theres no reason why i can't start building the raised bootfloor etc. I do need to decide on a headunit though.Any suggestions? I'm not particularly interested in satnav, bluetooth would be useful, i won't require the use of cd's etc if there is one that supports a harddrive i can tuck in the glovebox or something this would be good. I havent had a headunit for a few years so not looked as such yet.Obviously i will need two preouts, preferably with a high voltage output to prevent static.

You have blinded me with science Rob! If you could have a look at how my sub box and fibreglassing is done, perhaps that might help. I've got a JL W3 sub (I think), that fits pretty well and doesn't raise the boot floor at all really. Basically the remade boot floor in MDF sits on the original foam at the sides and obviously the sub box enclosure supports the main bit.I'm afraid I can't offer advice on the head unit really as mine has all the sat nav and phone, DAB and everything, but I guess it'll mean not wanting that stuff will make it a hell of a lot cheaper.This only really works if you have an iPod etc, but that can be a very good way of doing it whilst getting all the features as most head units will do this. You can get a big capacity USB, that's another option.

well these headunits that connect and mirror the phone don't really have great reviews. The apps cost additional money and tend to not have many features.. This is literally an android headunit with it's own app store so can use google navigation on it which i use on my phone and is great. Has rear cam plugs on the back. Can also record from the camera etc.Would of helped if i linked you the correct page! http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/asteroid-range/parrot-asteroid-smart

Hmm, looks pretty good. Seems to have a good amount of functionality. I guess that my only reservation is that it's made by Parrott rather than a recognised audiophile brand, though it has stuff that mine doesn't like being able to go on the web and far more nav options.