Lauren

My Wikkid sound install

Yes, I'm the same Alec, 5 Live and 6 Music are huge gaps for me as that's what I tend to listen to when I'm at home. Ok, yes you can get 5 Live on AM but the quality is iffy. And yes, the 'DAB ready' status on the Toyota Touch head unit is a huge mystery to me too as there doesn't appear to be any push by Toyota to get us to purchase a full DAB upgrade (so far as I know it is still not a dealer option on a new car), which is odd as quite a few other car companies now throw DAB in as standard on their new cars.

And yes, I'm also fascinated to know how anyone with a UK spec GT86 has got DAB 'as standard' as opposed to having a 'DAB ready' unit!

How have you found the DAB reception quality, and did you need an additional aerial for it or is the OEM one good enough?

It's okay for hte most part. I admit I only listen to 6 Music,  nothing else. It just depends on the area. Some rural parts of the world and I can't pick any up at all. 

I've got a DAB aerial on my windscreen. 

Nice install! I bet it sounds amazing.

Though I too am a bit worried about the extra wieght after Stu on the other forum had his car weighted. It was just over 100Kg heavier I think. He does have a few weight saving parts, but also the sprintex kit. ICE is where all the weight is.

Now I can tell when I have a passenger in the car and to me the car is more nimble. I dotn want to lose that. Infact I have started to wonder what I can strip out fo improve that nimble feeling.

I dont use my car to commute thoguh so its a differnet story....

replacing the rear speakers would be an expense not really worth it imo.

I can afford the expense of a pair of speakers, as indeed I am sure Lauren can,

just wondering why she chose not to?

Hello Lauren

Rather than disconnect your rear speakers,

why not replace them with something a little better?

Stephen

The rear speakers are crap. You don't need them. Much easier to setup a system with two way components in the front, a DSP and a sub in the boot. There's no real benefit to having rear speakers. 

Nice install! I bet it sounds amazing.

Though I too am a bit worried about the extra wieght after Stu on the other forum had his car weighted. It was just over 100Kg heavier I think. He does have a few weight saving parts, but also the sprintex kit. ICE is where all the weight is.

Now I can tell when I have a passenger in the car and to me the car is more nimble. I dotn want to lose that. Infact I have started to wonder what I can strip out fo improve that nimble feeling.

I dont use my car to commute thoguh so its a differnet story....

Stu put dynamat in his roof. I've no idea what my system weighs, but probably about 15kgs or so. Just a guess. That is negligible really when you consider the overall weight of the car. I didn't notice any difference when I had it all fitted a month into ownership.

Also if you start stripping things out you have to do a lot to make a difference. The car then becomes a nightmare in real world driving. Been there, done that with other cars I've had.  

I can afford the expense of a pair of speakers, as indeed I am sure Lauren can,

just wondering why she chose not to?

I wasn't doubting if you can afford it or not, what I meant was you wouldn't gain anything from it. You would be paying for nothing basically. Your ears do not listen behind you, you would only hear the comps in reality really..

No idea, Stephen. It has been working fine for a year and a half. Yes it gets hot, but you would expect that I guess.

It's cut out through thermal overload twice. The first time was when I was travelling in high temperatures to Germany. The car was fully loaded with the amp covered. The second time was when going up the Stelvio Pass, again in a lot of heat and the amp was covered by luggage.

That aside it seems to be fine, but I do try not to to put luggage directly over it.

lauren if you dont mind me asking how much did all this cost?  did you supply the speakers and he fitted them or he did he supply everything.

Pm me if you prefer :)

looking at changing mine in the future