Sign in to follow this  
BRZ2

My Hi Fi installation

This is the write up on my audio upgrade (Hi-Fi Installation) into the Subaru BRZ,now I know plenty will say it adds weight and make the car slower etc. but as it's my daily driver up and down the motorway each day and i'm very much into my Dance music and as the standard unit was far from satisfactory to me an upgrade was needed.The standard head unit in the BRZ is a total joke and was swapped out last autumn, i'll try to find the photos and add later, but this mainly covers the speakers and amp setup .The main components are not new they are from one of my R32 Skyline GT-R's (which is about to be scraped I think)The speakers are JL Audio ZR-650 CSI the Sub is a 13TW5v2-4 a Very Slim 13.5-inch Subwoofer Driver (600 W, 4 Ω)and the 4 Channel Amp is by Genesis (now folded since the recession I believe) Specification: 4 x 75W / 2 x 75W + 1 x 250W at 4 ohmsand the head unit is a Kenwood DNX-4210DAB Car Navigation DAB CD DVD MP3 iPod iPhone etcPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageThe boot all cleaned and emptied ready for soundproofing with ultralite dynamat. I bought a box with 10 sheets from Ebay last summer in readiness at a bargain price.after about a whole day of cutting and applying, the whole boot and sides were covered, if you could see metal it was covered (within reason)Posted ImageDynamat all in place.Posted ImageThe standard front paper speakers in the front doors were thown in the bin, no wonder it was rubbishPosted ImagePosted ImageThe front doors were also treated to a load of Dynamat Ultralite, the speaker mounted were mde from 12mm MDF then also covered.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageTweeter grills pop out so easyPosted ImageOnce the cables had been run throughout the car, I applied a small amount of hot glue to test the sound, once happy they were glue in with much more hot glue.More Later on... Thanks Steve

Good work! I will post mine up once I can get the pics to work okay. 13.5" is a huge sub. Mine is a 12" JL 600W and it's total overkill, though I really love it. Mine is a full-ish depth one as there is enough depth really, though it does sit flush with the boot floor. I'm guessing you will be fiberglassing and making an enclosure, or is there something off the shelf?

I had a 15" in my first car, i lost my entire boot :( I have some comps sitting around from my old car but i need to get around to getting the rest of the crap to fit em. It's needed though the standard speakers are so so bad.

yeah i'm going to raise the bootfloor and hide it completely under a sheet of accoustic carpet :), it's just getting round to it. It tends to take up the whole weekend.

Now I like this, Id replace mine but Ive no clue about all this stuff, might have to have a word with a mate who is a bit obsessed with car audio,

What amp is that? Oops - just noticed it's in the top post...this forum isn't playing nice with chrome on my mac :(Nice install btw...mine is a lot more stealth-like until I turn it up :32 (18):

Thank you for showing me your install today Steve. It looks and sounds very good indeed.I don't suppose you know what size the front mid-range speakers should be, do you? I'm thinking that if I go ahead with a full install, I'll populate all the holes. :-)Can't wait to hear your system again.