bassett

Key fob battery

Hi, ive got a 2015 gt86 with the keyless entry and one of the fobs seems to have died. Ive looked through the manual which suggests a cr2016, can anyone confirm this is corrrect as the fob looks very different. 

How long does everyone else find these fob batteries last. Ive had it 4 years but only use it  around once a week so didnt think it would go that quick but as the car battery needed replacing after 1 year i shouldnt be suprised i guess :)

Cheers

My MY2014 has CR1632. I doubt it being changed in later years.

P.S. Suggest to buy two batteries & put spare not in spare fob, but in glovebox (to not search shop when one needs). AFAIK with battery in it, fob transmits all the time, for smart key access to work, no? Thus i guess, spare will last longer if not in fob. Also when battery may soon end, it's usually lit on dash. IIRC with low battery there is still chance of smartkey signal to detect if you wave it near start button, to get through pinch, and experimentally i still drove for two weeks when it started signalling about low battery, but better replace in timely fashion for convenience sake.

My keyless fob definitely took the awkward not available in supermarkets CR1632. The only way to know is to crack them open and look. It's pretty easy and won't mess anything up. I believe a battery will last up to two years in continuous use. There's a lot of communication goes on for the immobiliser and , much more than with the old remote locking fobs.

It indeed was relatively non-common battery type, it wasn't among types usually carried in fuel station shops and in most supermarkets either. So simplest i guess is to buy online. But as for first time battery running flat i waited too long and at one point simply sat in car that i could open only with mechanical key, with alarm that won't shut up and engine that i couldn't start, i needed to put temporary another, thinner (don't remember type though), 3V battery with some folded paper to ensure contact :). I'm sure you can find it online, but now i finally found one local store that carry CR1632 too. IIRC Toyota's part number was MPN 89745-YZZ03, but searching by CR1632 should widen purchase choices.

Thanks guys yes i found out it is a 1632 and opening up the key fob is amazingly easy once I found the right video online. Top tip on getting spares as I'm sure my second fob will follow shortly.

I still need to find a battery but for anyone wondering on how to remove the battery. Press in the bottom on the side of the fob to release the manual key from the fob. Pull out the manual key. WIth the tip of the manual key insert it into the recess in the fob and twist to split the fob in half. You then have to release the circuit board gently to uncover batter on the other side.