Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

Hello everyone!

Guest Guest

Well I'm here too :cool:So what's going to be the benefits of being in the other "Owners Club" then? Surely this was set up for a reason?

Dan monetises the site for his own financial gain, which is fine, but i'd rather be part of a club that uses funds to benefit the club. He expects you to pay extra on top of your JAE ticket to pay for marquees and what not? It shouldn't be like that. I'd like to point out he owns over 50 other "owners club websites" for the benefit of himself financially, he has no interest in the car itself despite what people say. Our aim is to be a non for profit organization.

Guest Guest

So how are you raising these funds then? You're against us having to pay but will you not be charging members to gain capitol? I see them as equal in my eyes. TBH I'm equally suspicious of the admin getting away with not paying the same as other members. How do I know this isn't your way of getting a free ride on the rest of us? (Just voicing opinions ;)).How do you know that Dan won't be forthcoming with aid towards costs at JAE?I hope you're successful in the right way and not the way I fear this will go. I don't share the enthusiasm and feel that 2 owners clubs within the UK, given as the car isn't exactly a big seller, is counter-productive. As an owner of the GT86 from the start, I want one large owners community, not 2 fractured, separate ones. Or is your intention to dominate? In which case is the time and information that I've invested into the other Club wasted?? :mad:

I think there are quite a few of us who have put a fair bit of time and effort into the other site, but what is missing there is interest at the top. If Dan was an owner and interested in attending events, I am certain that there would have been a GT86 only attendance at JapFest rather than what happened. �There were a bunch of people who were really keen to attend but nothing seemed to be happening, so we went with the offer from the IMOC through Lauren.I put in a fair bit of effort setting up the event map on Google to try and use it as a point around which meets could be arranged, Special K set up the Autosport show meet, Lauren set the ball rolling for the track day at Anglesey and helped made sure JapFest actually happened. When the members of an organisation are more keen on doing things than the head of that organisation, then either you have to replace the person at the top (can't happen in this case the other Forum is Dan's) or set up your own that is going to behave in the way you prefer.I am not one of the people that dislike Dan's Forum because he makes money out of it, good luck to him and well done for making the effort to set it up, but I felt it was never going to take the lead in arranging events, if you have to keep pushing to make things happen it gets tiring.As far as Dan being forthcoming with aid towards JAE, if that were the case why is Stu asking us to pay for the marquee? I think what it boils down to is there were a bunch of us who were looking for more action on the events front than just talking about them.Alec

[FONT=Times">

As far as Dan being forthcoming with aid towards JAE' date=' if that were the case why is Stu asking us to pay for the marquee?I think what it boils down to is there were a bunch of us who were looking for more action on the events front than just talking about them.Alec[/font']

My point exactly! If he cared about the club he would cough up, It's best the club makes money and puts it back in to the club than said owner keeps it. A club is for many people, not one.

So how are you raising these funds then? You're against us having to pay but will you not be charging members to gain capitol? I see them as equal in my eyes. TBH I'm equally suspicious of the admin getting away with not paying the same as other members. How do I know this isn't your way of getting a free ride on the rest of us? (Just voicing opinions ;)).How do you know that Dan won't be forthcoming with aid towards costs at JAE?I hope you're successful in the right way and not the way I fear this will go. I don't share the enthusiasm and feel that 2 owners clubs within the UK' date=' given as the car isn't exactly a big seller, is counter-productive. As an owner of the GT86 from the start, I want one large owners community, not 2 fractured, separate ones. Or is your intention to dominate? In which case is the time and information that I've invested into the other Club wasted?? :mad:[/quote']We aren't against having to pay... we will use a classic club model i'd imagine, where people can pay �£5 a year for additional club benefits. Merchandise also, the difference is we won't keep the money for ourselves. It will pay for things such as marquees at shows etc.Three of us have already put about �£70 in, i've probably put in �£100 so far so i'd hardly say we are using this for a free ride. The other club will always be there, we just want something more. If Dan and Stu listened to the people in their "Feedback" thread to make the club better rather than saying if you dont like how it's run leave this wouldn't of happened.I appreciate you have your own opinion on the matter but when a lot of the members question the owners intentions when he himself doesn't even own a GT86, something is wrong agreed?Your time isn't wasted, and you're more than welcome to bring your knowledge to this forum, but I completely understand if you want to stay where you are.

Guest Guest

My point exactly! If he cared about the club he would cough up, It's best the club makes money and puts it back in to the club than said owner keeps it. A club is for many people, not one.

So how are you generating money? Surely you're going to get members to pay?I asked about adding money for JAE and it seems that there isn't much left in the pot, I wasn't saying that he'd pay for the whole lot, but he still may be assisting in other things (banners etc). Have you paid Dan any money?? Are you expecting him to cover the costs and pay nothing yourself? Just because he generates a small amount of income for other websites shouldn't mean he has to pay out of his own pocket for us. I actually want the same as you, I just don't agree with you ;) And also we asked people to get more involved to help sort things out, no-one did because of the people who said they would attend made that difficult. That wasn't down to the admin, that was down to the users. I'm surprised that you couldn't see that was an issue no matter who was organizing it.If you found that an issue, why did none of you step up to the mark, or was it easier trying to put yourselves in charge of the whole lot?? I fear you may think I'm being defensive as I'm "a moderator over there" but TBH I could drop that title and still feel the same, I'm not affiliated with that site I just help keep it tidy. I actually see this move as being done for the masses but benefiting the few :cool:

We wont make members pay, but there may be the option to pay a membership fee for added benefits, you will have a PM soon. I'm unsure if you are talking about the Japfest Organising or JAE?

Guest Guest

Ok PM received. I assume that you will be attending the big events from now on under the umbrella of this forum then and not the other one?

Guest Guest

Well if you're offering all kinds of free stuff here, count me in on both sides :D I don't discriminate.....

I am currently sorting a deal to go on the IMOC stand. Just waiting the detail. I'm not sure it's about competition, Steve. I wanted to get involved in the other forum, but the whole ethos of Dan basically setting up forums to make money isn't something I wished to be involved with. So I couldn't really put anything into it. Shame, but it was clear after a challenge that Dan wasn't ready to relinquish his income. Fair enough, why should he?So the obvious thing to do was setup a not for profit club run by members who actually are mad about the car and do something worthwhile, hopefully. I'm sorry you may feel your efforts on the other forum are wasted, but this was my reason for not bothering to post up any threads about my antics. Instead a few of us got our heads together over the last 4 months or so and came up with a plan for a club that will be able to benefit the members. How do we generate income? Traders and we will have in time 'premium' type members who pay a fee. This fee is to support the club and help to cover costs for insurance, general financing and of course for events. Having a limited company with your own bank account makes booking stands, equipment and the like a whole lot easier. Not sure what this fee will be but it's optional and there will be associated benefits as a result. If you think there are some of us getting a free ride, well let me tell you, three of us have already put in monies to buy the software. I'm £70 down so far, but meh, it's about trying to do something. If that's what it takes then it's got to be done. I have already run a large not for profit club since 2004. Do I have to pay the membership fee of £7.50? No, but seriously! I still have to buy my JAE and other event tickets just like everyone else. IMOC still owes me £20 for postage of all the tickets last year. It's obvious I'm not in it for the money! But, I know how to run a club. As for how it affects Dan's forum. Well inevitably it's competitive. But I really do not want to instigate bad feelings. There is nothing stopping us doing this, so Dan cannot complain really. We have a different ethos and approach, but I really feel with Dan's forum, whilst it's a good and active forum, the 'club' side will never really develop as I can see it as the income is going to him. Anyway, lets try and keep this as amicable as possible. I'm not looking for a fight.

Hi Steve,there were a number of us who were willing to add funds to Dan's forum, it had been discussed for paying for banners paying up front for stands etc.Dan didn't want to take us up on the offers, which really is required to take a club forward. Why he didn't want to do this isn't really the point, we wanted to try and get more things happening, we could have started asking for donations on Dan's forum to setup a club fund there but I doubt this would have been tolerated.Back in Feb/March I tried to get the ball rolling for Car Fest, a 3 day combined Car show and music festival in August at Oulton Park up North and a similar event at Jody Scheckters Laverstoke Park in Hants. This event would have required a commitment up front at the end of March of about £540 for a 7 car stand (to cover festival tickets and camping), this needs a pool of money to be available and some sort of decision making group set up to decide how that money should be used.Now maybe the response I had was because it was the wrong event, maybe because it was too far in the future who knows, but the only way an event like that was going to happen on Dan's Forum was if one of the members took the risk themselves with their own money (I came very close to shelling out the £540 but felt that if I did and then had to sell the festival tickets to get my money back then it might have got the forum a bad name)Dan wasn't interested, it seemed to me to be a really good high profile show that I would have expected to have been discussed at a club level but it just never got mentioned/highlighted.It might seem that it's me being peeved that my pet project never happened, it's not that (I already had tickets anyway), it's that fact that the forum wasn't taking suggestions like this and making a debate happen/decisions about them.I'm hoping that here that the club will be a bit more pro-active and get things moving, I also have helped with the cost of the software to help reduce Rob's outlay as he had taken the risk himself to commit his money and I appreciated the effortIt's not supposed to be a fight with the other forum, it's an attempt to set up something a bit more committed than just a talking shop, so that we can make sure those that want to attend events have a framework for it to happen, being led my like minded members who also want to attend.Alec