Sign in to follow this  
Dennis Wilson

Hopeful Newbie, Question.

Hi All, 

Been looking at the forums for a good few months and hoping for some help. 

I currently drive a 61 plate Honda Civic Type S. Love the car, but I've been itching to upgrade recently and honestly the GT86 is the only car that has really blown me away in looks recently. I'm 26 and a hot hatch doesn't really appeal anymore. I also love to drive, so everything I've seen about this car seems to fit perfectly with me. 

Anyway I'm thinking of going for a 14 or 15 year plate, hopefully no more than 40k miles. I don't work very far from home and don't daily drive my Civic (all depends if the girlfriend's car is blocking me in on the drive, if she is I take hers) 

Like I said I love driving, but don't know that much past basic maintenance and my Uncle is a mechanic, so I leave all that side to him. My question is, with regular services etc... do you feel like this car is one for longevity? If i buy one I want  to keep it for quite a while, maybe 6-8 years and it could be my last petrol car before electric starts to take over. Unfortunately I don't have a garage. 

I appreciate the question might be difficult with the original production not even reaching 10 years yet, but would love your thoughts. 

It's a hardy enough car as I can confirm having driven 124,000 miles in the six years I've owned it from new. I've not had any significant issues as such and I still drive mine every day. As long as you do the required maintenance and keep to the service schedule it should do fine. 

There's nothing particularly exotic about the car, it's as well made as any other Subaru (both in a positive and negative sense). They're not rusting away yet, most engine failures are in cars that have been meddled with. It'll suffer in the very long term from being a low volume car w.r.t. the availability of cheap spares and donor cars, tuner support etc particularly if you get a special edition, but we're some years away from that.

Nothing about it says it'll punish your wallet like owning an old Audi RS or BMW M-car.