Mike

Sound deadening

Picked up a set of the Focal IS165TOY that I'm intending on fitting at the weekend. While the door cards will be off, figured I'd add some sound deadening as well...

For those that have done it, what's the best approach? Material on the inside of the inner skin of the door or somewhere else?

Pics would be splendid :) 

Guest 86guns

Here’s what I did. In addition I found the best “win” for minimal work was by doing the inside of the rear arches behind the rear speakers. 

0E4C8BDB-41C1-4351-866A-D555BF2425D7.jpeg

22AC068C-53DA-4A85-9F2D-4BA977D641C5.jpeg

I shoved sound deadening on the inside of the  door panels then on the internal door card certain areas for me rattled like bastards (window controls) so I carefully peeled that plastic crap thing back and deadened the entire internal door card my doors now weigh a tonne but soooo much better on speaker quality. 

I put some additional deadening strips near the tweeters in the dash. 

Cheers, sounds like you both did the same sort of thing. So on the inside of the outer door skin, and some on the flat parts of the innner door skin? Makes sense as the flat parts would vibrate more than the structural bits...

Any recommendations on best place to get sound deadening material from, multiple suppliers on eBay! Also anyone put sound deadening on inside of bootlid, less about acoustics more about making the bootlid less rattly!

I've used these guys twice in the last couple of weeks: http://deadening.co.uk/

Cant really fault them or the silent coat stuff, its made a big difference to the car as a whole.

Used the trunk liner kit and it managed to cover the front doors rear quarters and the boot lid with a sheet to spare.

Guest 86guns
5 hours ago, SnappyChariot said:

Any recommendations on best place to get sound deadening material from, multiple suppliers on eBay! Also anyone put sound deadening on inside of bootlid, less about acoustics more about making the bootlid less rattly!

Yep I did that. I also used the deadening web site.

DE7B5755-333B-441A-8754-505C9D2680A7.jpeg

On 21/06/2018 at 11:57 AM, damo1023 said:

I've used these guys twice in the last couple of weeks: http://deadening.co.uk/

Cant really fault them or the silent coat stuff, its made a big difference to the car as a whole.

Used the trunk liner kit and it managed to cover the front doors rear quarters and the boot lid with a sheet to spare.

Sorry for digging this one up, but I just wanted to see if this was the pack that people were buying...

https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-2mm-mat-volume-pack

I havent done anything to my 86 yet but that is what I used in my MR2 and am very happy with it.

From the googling I did, the advice seemed to be that you got most benefit from some sound deadening product and diminishing returns from doing the whole panel so I did a lot on the doors but much less on the floor. I went round tapping panels with my knuckle and if it sounded hollow then on went a bit of silent coat. It goes a long way this way. I also put some sound deadening foam (the black stuff) on the firewall as well.

26N2RJk.jpg

This really helped the sound in the MR2 so well worth doing. When I get some time I will do the same to the 86. 

1 hour ago, will300 said:

Loads of photo's here - I might have gone abit overboard :lol::

Woah!! Yeah, that's a lot of material applied there! I bet it made a big difference though?!

2 hours ago, 86guns said:

Yes that’s what I used but I’m sure it was about £30 a pack last year. It’s certainly shot up in price.

Yeah, 50% increase (or there about)?!

Damn you Brexit!! 😆😆😆