Sign in to follow this  
mart86

Subwoofer boot rattle

Hi, I've just installed a sub in the boot and I'm getting really annoying rattles even at quite low volume.  I've sorted some out after looking at the guide on here and attacking with silent coat and bits of velcro.  The worst of it seems to be coming from the air vents near the rear lights.  I take it these are to relieve pressure when closing doors and airbag deployment etc. Has anyone had this problem and solved it? 

Thanks. 

I have a 12" sub in my boot for the last five years. Everything rattles if I turn the bass up. It's the limiting factor it seems. The whole car can resonate at times. I've never solved anything when it comes to rattles, I just don't have the bass too high (normally set at a fifth of what it can do). 

Thanks.  I can deal with small vibrations.  Turn up the volume enough and you can't hear them anyway.  But these vents sound like someone had a bad curry the night before.  I think it's more the thin plastic covering the vents from the outside to stop water ingress.  When the sub kicks the air is forced through these vents and causes a horrible sound.  Don't really want to block the vents they're obviously there for a reason.  I'm going to order some thinsulate sound sheet to put between the vent and the boot liner.  Hopefully muffle the sound enough to not be irritating.