Sign in to follow this  
jw191

JW191 Custom Audio Build

Hey all, I thought some of you might be interested in my audio install, so here goes. There is a full build log on the other forum (sorry, I found that one first 😊) so I’ll keep this one to the highlights.

I wanted a relatively stealthy install, keeping the stock HU. Also, I didn't want to do anything irreversible. No splicing into wires, drilling into panels, cutting polystyrene in boot or boot floor carpet etc. I accepted that running new cables was going to require a few irreversible mods.

There are two main plug and play options.
1. The focal 165TOY door woofer and tweeter; discarded as I want more volume and bass.
2. OEM+ imported from overseas. Probably about two grand once imported and installed. I heard one and it sounded pretty good, but I reckon for the money I can do better if I put the hours in.

I fancied a custom install and a new wood-work project, so set about fabricating.

The kit:

Hertz HDP5 Amp (4x100W and 1x 550W)

Hertz H8 DSP
Hertz MPK163.3 3-Way speakers; woofers for the doors, mid and tweeter in the dash
Hertz HX300D subwoofer

And a massive list of other stuff to make it happen. This was an international effort with some stuff coming from as far as Australia (dash speaker mounts)

The whole process took a few months, working at the weekends. The car is my daily, and was used throughout, limiting progress speed. I went to the professionals for the DSP, to get it setup optimally.

The entire custom wiring loom is wrapped in Tessa Tape for a professional looking finish. It also means that if I come to sell or replace the car it can be easily removed and installed in another vehicle. The most difficult bit of the job is neatly running wires through the dash and into the doors.

It delivers the right compromise of quality and power for me. At maximum volume, the rear-view mirror points to the roof, which is fun.

All in, slightly over £3k and probably 100Hrs effort; would have been quicker if I didn’t have to leave the car drivable at the end of each weekend. If you’re interested in more of the process, search my user name on the other forum.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.jpg

8.JPG

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

On 2/11/2018 at 5:34 PM, nerdstrike said:

Yay! Mids! The boot setup looks great.

Cheers, yeah I'm very happy with the way it turned out. You lose about 6cm of boot depth, but I've rarely go a need to transport much in the 86. The boot pieces all lift out if I did need the space back temporarily.

Small update, installed the Hertz HRC Subwoofer remote today. Fits nicely in the coin tray in the front. Great little addition; should have installed it from the start.

348B7DFD-4A3E-4A12-A6B5-F37711DE5D72.jpeg.3cfa96e0499bc0f90792aeebf778e813.jpeg

Straightforward to install, just one wire to run. The hardest bit was removing the start button panel. YouTube to the rescue.