Herbie86

lighten up

In short - no. It's more like trait of this car, for more communicative steering, though of course it might feel way different then in generic family cars with imho overpowered steering assist that hides/washes up lot of feel.

You might: - not do mods, that make steering heavier, eg. due increased scrub radius to make more "flush" wheels via spacers or reduced positive offset, or camberplates or bushings that may increase caster (more caster, more centering force & heavier feeling). Maybe even rather do something to reduce caster.

Probably there are possibilities to change/retrofit other steering mechanisms, but they are hardly cheap/simple, so i won't count them.

Best bet imho would be to just get used to it. I love both sharp turn-in and communicative steering and wouldn't want to give up just for easier to steer with one hand.

BTW, you DO steer with both hands and at right position? That increases force that can be applied to steering and enables for very quick steering inputs, hence advised to get rid of habbits like when leasurely cruising, resting one hand on midconsole and steer with one hand, probably at top or bottom of steering wheel at that :). One hand on steering wheel should be only when you reach out for gear switch.

Thanks for your considered comments Church, 'tho not what I wanted to hear. 

I do all the right things you mentioned.

Fact is, the steering is very good but it was actually better on my prior Nissan 200SX turbo that I kept for 17 years. It was deadly accurate too, slightly lighter, turned in sharper, (?variable ratio or teensy passive rear wheel steering or both.. I never could confirm) just as communicative and the lock was way better. Only downside was occasional uncouth "rack rattle" e.g. over railway lines. I've had the '86 for 4 years and still yearn for the Nissan steering, not to mention the extra torque but I've got used to that.

I use an extra bit of pressure in the front tyres which helps and surprisingly has little effect on harshness. 

Your other option is to fit a bigger steering wheel if you can find one from another car that keeps the airbag. May be possible. I actually run a 10mm smaller diameter wheel which makes the steering a bit heavier still, but I like the accuracy of it. 

37 minutes ago, Herbie86 said:

Thanks yes but then larger movements are required and I do not want to reduce the sharpness. Looks like I'm doomed.

Or you could just get used to it like everyone else. :P Give it time, see how it goes. 

Hi Herbie,

I'm afraid like the others suggested you are pretty limited in what you can do. Fitting wheels with higher offset will lighten the steering but that will obviously cost a considerable amount and impact looks (the wheels are sunken enough as it is). Then there is the larger steering wheel option.

For response you can install stiffer or solid steering rack bushings.

I am too am a ex 200SX owner, absolutely loved the car, but age got the better of it (rust!) I never noticed the steering being superior to the 86 though. Funnily enough I bought an 86 based on the fact it reminded me of my 200SX.