Sign in to follow this  
alucardo

Oil Pressure

I have noticed my oil pressure light flicker at idle around 600 rpm. It disappears under any form of throttle input and goes away once driving even when it then again idles its not longer there. It is the first time I have noticed it. I have an oil pressure gauge that seems to indicate 0.65-0.7 (kpa x100) at idle. Car is fully warm when I saw it today. Oil is topped up.

Low oil pressure I think is reported 0.2-0.3 psi unless anyone can correct me? Either way I have parked the car up and will take it to a garage, just wondering if anyone has any further info?

Gauge below

https://www.epracing.co.uk/index.php/parts/performance-electronics/performance-gauges/645/282/gauges-d1/60mm-gauges/d1-spec-oil-pressure-60mm-detail.html

@alucardo I'm not really familiar with the scale of measurement you're using for the oil pressure. Mine is measuring in psi from the block. I see the pressure drop to about 7/8psi at the lowest when the car is hot and idles (e.g. after I've just come into the pits on a track day). I also have an oil cooler fitted and am running Millers Nanodrive 0w30 so slightly thicker than the stock 0w20.

0.7 x 100 = 70 kpa which is about 10psi.

21 minutes ago, maurice said:

That's very concerning, possible some sort of intermittent blockage. You shouldn't need to run a different oil with the oil cooler.

How many times has it happened?

Did TD fit the cooler? I'd be getting onto them asap.

The oil cooler has been on the car for months with no issues at all it was more just an FYI as to what my car has on it. I will speak to Mike at TD this week anyway.
It has happened twice my wife spotted it first time but it went away and the 2nd time I spotted myself so now the car is parked up and wont be used until I can get it over to a garage probably inchcape in Nottingham for now.

2 minutes ago, alucardo said:

0.7 x 100 = 70 kpa which is about 10psi.

From what I've seen from the temperature and pressure gauge I have fitted,  both pre and post oil ccooler,  10psi at idle when hot is not unusual and any throttle input (or the ac compressor kicking in) will quickly raise the oil pressure again. 

On 10/29/2017 at 11:19 AM, maurice said:

Best of luck with it, hopefully it's the sensor.

I had this happen on my wife's old 'bulletproof' Honda Civic, unfortunately for us it was more serious.

I would agree. If it's coming on any time other than when the RPM drops well below standard idle speed then this is a good indication of genuine low pressure and possible bearing issues.

Is there any form of leak around where the oil pressure sensor is? How is your oil pressure gauge plumbed in?

Toyota think it's the oil pressure switch. The pressure seems good on the car and they have not seen the issue themselves. So replacing that and hoping for the best. Sadly part is on back order so next Monday before it gets replaced.

Have you had any luck with this yet? Instinct points towards the switch...

That said any rotary fluid pump will kick out low flow and pressure at low rpm.

Most hydraulic pumps/oil pumps have a pressure regulating valve so they only kick out the desired pressure (a kind of bleed valve to return excess pressure to the pump inlet).

There's a chance that they'll barely produce the required pressure at low rpm (idle) but just above this they'll be fine.

My old Kawasaki Ninja used to have the same symptoms as you describe. It was fine when warmed up just used to flicker when idling cold unless you wound the choke on a bit. I changed the pressure switch and tried an oil system flush but never cured it...

What I'm trying to say is that it's quite likely there's no problem at all, it could just be a characteristic due to the particular parts in your pump (a 1 in a million type thing).

Forgot to update. I have had no recurrence of the issue since the oil switch was replaced so I'm happy and im happy that the gauge I installed is bang on according to Toyota after their testing.