Sign in to follow this  
Ch1L5t3R

Will this work?!?

Hey all :) Me again,

So i've got my GT86 now, and one thing i have noticed is my media system hasnt got the Sat Nav installed. I was aware that i believe it was an optional extra, so clearly mine didnt get it. But obviously its still the same media unit, so presumably i can install the SatNav?

From a previous forum post someone recommended the below link as it was cheaper than from toyota themselves (half the price in fact) and would update it. But does anyone know if the below link is just like a software update? or basically like installing a fresh program. If its the latter i presume i can pay the 75 pounds for the latest update and install it and i'll have access? Any ideas? i juust want maps xD

https://www.thesatnavshop.com/product-page/toyota-touch-go-1-touch-2-2017-usb-update

You need the GPS unit which you won't have. So downloading won't work, I'm afraid. Better option is to change the whole head unit for something decent, plenty of options out there. 

3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

You need the GPS unit which you won't have. So downloading won't work, I'm afraid. Better option is to change the whole head unit for something decent, plenty of options out there. 

Ah okay no worries, thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at the options, don't suppose you know what size the head unit is? or is it pretty universal size to look for? :)

Others will know the size, it's bigger than a stock double din. I just have a double din unit as I wanted Alpine, I've got a surround that sticks on to fill the gap. That's another option. It's all about how much you want to spend really. Worth considering one with DAB too. Surely nobody listens to FM anymore? 

Thanks for all the replies, saves me spending money on a mistake! yeah i'll just whip out the ol' credit card and get myself a treat for it :) will shop around, do my research and also check out that post @Lucas@PartBox mentioned :)

Cheers all :D Feel free to try and convince me which one is best ;) 

**update**

I've picked myself up a new headunit thanks to the advice from this thread :) I've gone for a good all-rounder as i wanted something that still had the basics (bluetooth, usb, aux, cd/dvd) but also had android car play so i can use google maps etc. I've gone for the Pioneer 8700bt as linked below, Got it at a good price, plus halfords made sure the correct face plate has been ordered to fit it, and will fit it when it arrives in a few days saving me from making any mistakes xD

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/apple-carplay/pioneer-avh-x8700bt-car-stereo-with-apple-carplay-and-android-auto

I'm happy that by the reviews of the above product i'm sure i'll be very happy with it :) But if anyone happens by luck to have the same or simular model and wants to let me know what they think of it would love to hear!

7 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Looks snazy, although 3 stars out of 5?

Let us know what it's like, I still haven't gotten around to upgrading mine. 

Yeah i did see that, i guess you normally find the people leaving those stars are people that are unhappy, most people that are happy with products don't think to leave feedback xD i watched a lot of videos on youtube and reviews and i didn't hear any horror stories :) 

Plus its on sale so i like me a bargain xD but yeah i'll update this thread with some pictures of how it looks in the GT86 with a little review myself when its in :)

If you was after the factory sat nav I noticed FENSPORT have one in there second hand parts online worth giving them a bell if you are planning on keeping sound system stock that is👍

IMG_3313.PNG

45 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

True. Is it on sale in Halfords then, as it's £380 on a different website. 

Yeah it says its down from 500 to 400 xD but oh well, i'm still happy getting it from halfords as they will fit it for me as i know its an easy job but i know id still make a mess of it haha.

16 minutes ago, Gary p said:

If you was after the factory sat nav I noticed FENSPORT have one in there second hand parts online worth giving them a bell if you are planning on keeping sound system stock that is👍

IMG_3313.PNG

Ah good spot! i would have kept it stock and got this, but only if it was cheaper. For £360 i may as well upgrade to something with android auto play and more features and looks nicer :) Although i will keep the stock one should i ever want to switch back or should i ever sell my 86 and want to sell it as original :)

8 minutes ago, Gary p said:

Looks like Iam too late to the party 😂😂 kenwood pioneer alpine are all brilliant head units you made a good choice👍

Haha only just Gary! Thank you :) yeah there are plenty of good brands out there, it all just comes down to how much you are willing to pay, against how many features you are willing for it not to have :) 

Personally i the minimum i wanted for a headunit was: Bluetooth, Usb, Aux, Cd player, Satnav. But ideally also wanted a better EQ and the ablility to remove the screen for security :)