S18 RSG

*Gauging Interest* 2012 TD Turbo GT86

Slightly unexpected, but nothing certain right now. There is a possibility I will consider selling my car should there be interest at the right price.

The car is a 2012 "62" plate, with just over 40,000 miles with FSH. Most of you know the car, and can hopefully vouch for its condition and quality.

Spec:

Engine/Power
Stage 1 Tuning Developments Turbo kit with UEL manifold (the first UEL kit TD made)
Custom 2.5" resonated Catback exhaust with decatted front pipe
275bhp and 235lb/ft

Chassis and Brakes
Tein Street Advance coilovers (5kg/mm springs)
Eibach anti-roll bars
Eibach front and rear camber adjustment (bolts front, bushes rear)
EBC GD discs all round (less than 1k miles)
EBC Yellowstuff pads all round (less than 1k miles)
Goodridge stainless steel braided lines
Brembo DOT 5.1 fluid

Wheels and Tyres
3SDM 0.01 18x8.5 wheels finished in a custom graphite bronze colour
225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (less than 1k miles)

Interior
All standard silver plastics finished in red to match outside
New OEM seat covers (replaced under warranty around 5k miles ago)
Alcantara wrapped OEM steering wheel (3mm thicker with red leather 12 0'clock stripe)
Focal plug and play speaker upgrade
Kenwood DNX5160DABS headunit with Garmin Sat Nav (will be removed unless new owner pays for it separately, as it's so new and good)
Schroth Rallye 3 ASM harnesses (drivers' seat only, can be removed for sale)

Exterior and Misc
HT Autos lip kit all around
Valenti red/white rear lights
Valenti tinted side markers
HIC rear roof spoiler
Beatsonic V2 sharkfin
Debadged rear
Toyota badges finished to match wheels
Fensport bonnet lifters

All in all, I believe my car to be one of the best "daily driver" GT86's out there. The combination of power, grip, comfort and driver focused upgrades have made the car an absolute joy to own, so much so, that I will happily keep it for another year or so if the right offer doesn't come about.

The reason for possibly selling, is due to a change in my personal circumstances. I've recently taken on a new job with a new company, which has significantly increased my wage (allowing for the purchase of something special), but also increased my daily commute from 6 miles, to almost 70 miles. As the car is out of manufacturer warranty in September, and seeing as though the only dealer I trust is a 6 hour round trip away, it may be a risk to continue running the car with its current level of modification, as a daily driver for much of the future.

Full disclosure, the car currently has outstanding finance. I see no reason to clear it until I know there is a solid offer on the table, so be aware that any PPI checks WILL show this.

Price-wise, I don't know the market for turbo'd cars, but as I am required to give a price, I will say £20,000 as to not break the rules, but will listen to serious offers obviously under that asking price (which I know is more than it's worth).

Car is currently located in South Wales, with a daily commute to Hereford, and weekends always available for viewing.

30148238702_1a5abed02c_o.thumb.jpg.a78eef4f522cfa65cec23108a78a9ecf.jpg

20170525_192054_HDR.thumb.jpg.4f54ec24de2da4062acb9459bddc9241.jpg

C85QofCXsAANyGg.thumb.jpg.7bd7916ca4c844b600743c1a67478085.jpg

C85QraUXYAInijt.thumb.jpg.a451c540870b582a540eec93a305db51.jpg

Any questions regarding the sale, feel free to either PM me or leave them here. I will make a decision on selling the car based on either receiving an offer I can't refuse, or finding the car I want to replace the GT86 with at the right price.

Ross

Sorry to hear you're selling, Ross. A 70 mile commute each day is no problem. I did it for years in my car easily. Even with a turbo I expect a fair amount of it is just cruising on the motorway. I just don't see why a turbo car should be considered so fragile. Your mileage is low too. 

I would have thought given how set up for daily driving you car is, it would be perfect for that kind of commute. Of course I understand if you are looking to buy something new entirely. But the question is what? 

Just now, Lauren said:

Sorry to hear you're selling, Ross. A 70 mile commute each day is no problem. I did it for years in my car easily. Even with a turbo I expect a fair amount of it is just cruising on the motorway. I just don't see why a turbo car should be considered so fragile. Your mileage is low too. 

Thanks Lauren. Unfortunately, none of my journey is motorway. It's all Welsh B roads (which are fun). The problem is, the 30 minutes of start/stop traffic leaving my town, then 30 minutes of start/stop traffic in Hereford, which is putting a lot of stress on the clutch (and my left leg), and meaning I'm doing 25mpg if I'm lucky, and having to fill up every 3-4 days.

Next car will be a modern twin/single turbo, probably from the AMG/M/RS divisions, with an auto, to make commuting less of a chore, but the B roads still fun. I don't imagine they will solve the MPG problem, but with a bigger tank, should at least mean I'm filling up less often. 

Like I said, if I can't find a buyer fairly quickly and for a good price, I'll keep it until I can afford to buy one of the aforementioned cars new, or nearly new. Currently, I'm looking at 2-3 years old, and nearing the end of their warranties too, which isn't ideal.

Well, I guess if you have an uprated clutch it will get heavy in stop start traffic. Can't say I approve of the auto choice though. I sit in traffic everyday and well, it's just how it is. AMG is not a good option, crap in the reviews. An M car is nearly very good, edgy handling. RS is 4WD  and doesn't quite seem to deliver on the thrills. They are all good cars excepting the dull AMG, but all with their flaws as well. Might be worth seeing how the new Civic Type-R works out. It's really difficult to think of what to move on to, I think, especially given the power your car has as I know you're that way inclined. :P

16 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Well, I guess if you have an uprated clutch it will get heavy in stop start traffic. Can't say I approve of the auto choice though. I sit in traffic everyday and well, it's just how it is. AMG is not a good option, crap in the reviews. An M car is nearly very good, edgy handling. RS is 4WD  and doesn't quite seem to deliver on the thrills. They are all good cars excepting the dull AMG, but all with their flaws as well. Might be worth seeing how the new Civic Type-R works out. It's really difficult to think of what to move on to, I think, especially given the power your car has as I know you're that way inclined. :P

My checklist for a car has changed quite significantly in the past few months. I bought the GT86 mostly as a fun weekend car, as my daily commute was 6 miles of town driving, so I didn't care about my commute. I sacrificed power for handling, and for the way I've lived over my 2 years of ownership, it's been great. Currently, what I want in a car is something comfortable, fairly effortless to drive, lots of toys and obviously with a good amount of power to keep me interested. As I'm spending more time in traffic than before, and due to my longer hours, spending less time driving on the weekends, my car needs to suit that.

For context, the AMG car I've looked at is the A45 AMG, which certainly doesn't fall into your category of "crap in the reviews". It's come out 2nd only to the Focus RS in most of the super hatch tests I've read, but I've never liked the RS so that's not an option. Chris Harris loved it too, which means a lot as he generally speaks a lot of sense. The M2/M3/M4 is still a huge possibility, pending test drives. Apart from that, a new RS3 is also possible, again, requiring a test drive, although the reviews on that car aren't too promising. It's a shame there's no new RS4 saloon yet. I've driven the FK2 Type R, it's ok, but nothing special. No great improvement (in any area) over what I have now, so I can't imagine the FK8 will improve too much on that.

I have considered running 2 cars and keeping the GT for weekends, but I just don't have the space for more cars. We already have 4. 

I think it is priced fairly considering snd obviously you will be in so rush to sell.

Enjoy your M car as if you like you 86 they are they only thing that will match it for fun.

9 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

I think it is priced fairly considering snd obviously you will be in so rush to sell.

Enjoy your M car as if you like you 86 they are they only thing that will match it for fun.

Cheers Rich. As I said to Lauren, fun will be a bonus in my next car, whatever it may be. It's gonna be all about practical daily driving, comfort and then speed/fun. 

I'll continue to enjoy the GT for as long as I own it, whether that's another week or another year.

Congratulations on the new job.

You could always keep the GT86 as a weekend/track toy if you do track stuff?

And just get some fun hot hatch for the commute? Especially if you can afford it now with the higher salary. 

Or move closer to your new job :lol:

3 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Congratulations on the new job.

You could always keep the GT86 as a weekend/track toy if you do track stuff?

And just get some fun hot hatch for the commute? Especially if you can afford it now with the higher salary. 

Or move closer to your new job :lol:

I don't do nearly enough track stuff to have a dedicated car, certainly not one of this value haha. Plus, no space really for a second car. Only have 2 garages, and currently have 4 cars, so no room for more really.

Moving closer is definitely something I'll be looking at in the future, but that's a big commitment. Only been in the job a month, I need to get through 6 months at least before I commit.

3 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Sell one of the other 4 cars? 

They're not all mine haha, just in my household. 2 of them are mine, but the other one is shared, so I don't have the authority to sell it.

Sell me the turbo for 2k and peice out the mods for a very good return looks like between wheels headunit coilovers ect ect - at least 3 - 4k of mods to sell maybe more and I think they'd go quick on the forum   then sell the standard car for 12-13k. You're looking at 18-19k plus there and I think someone would pay around 17k max for the car. Likely there will be a tiny market for it in modd d condition. I was actually kind of joking when I wrote this but it actually sounds like the best way forward and I really would buy the turbo :). There's a 63 plate 15kmiles trd with a fensport turbo on autotrader for 20k and with the trd and mileage I think it's priced correctly and yours would certainly be a lot less

1 minute ago, jevvy said:

Sell me the turbo for 2k and peice out the mods for a very good return looks like between wheels headunit coilovers ect ect - at least 3 - 4k of mods to sell maybe more and I think they'd go quick on the forum   then sell the standard car for 12-13k. You're looking at 18-19k plus there and I think someone would pay around 17k max for the car. Likely there will be a tiny market for it in modd d condition. I was actually kind of joking when I wrote this but it actually sounds like the best way forward and I really would buy the turbo :). There's a 63 plate 15kmiles trd with a fensport turbo on autotrader for 20k and with the trd and mileage I think it's priced correctly and yours would certainly be a lot less

I thought about selling the turbo and selling it as a stock(ish) car, but it's a pain. For a start, I'd certainly want more than £2k for a kit that's only been on the car for 6 months lmao. Then I'd lose the car for a week while Mike swaps the kit with someone else, or just takes it off. I'd do it, if someone offered me the right money and organised it etc. 

The wheels are fine, I have the originals, but I'd probably sell it with the coilovers as I don't have stock and would cost me ~£150 to swap them over, not worth it really when the coilovers are probably £250-300 second hand.

I've already worked it out for the most part, and realised it's gonna end up being around the same whether I sell the car or the parts, because there's no way am I taking every single part off and putting back to complete standard, that's too much work.

If someone wants the car as it is, I'd prefer that, if not, I might consider selling parts at a later date.

46 minutes ago, jevvy said:

if you do decide to part it out I'd offer 3500 including the cost of swappovwr for the turbo :)

You can just pay £900 more and get a brand new installed at TD??

17 minutes ago, GT86JP said:

You can just pay £900 more and get a brand new installed at TD??

Jp fancy lending me '' just 900£'' there buddy :) 

Just now, jevvy said:

Jp fancy lending me '' just 900£'' there buddy :) 

lol just makes sense in my head to save up for a bit longer, for a brand new kit fitted, for the sake of 900?