Sign in to follow this  
Tim86

Guy fitting my coilovers says the car won't be road legal, should i roll/pull my arches?

Some of you guys said it's okay for a slight protrusion but the law is if you look down from above the arch and can see tyre tread then it's illegal and can be cause for MOT failure. It's essentially to stop your tyre tread from ripping someone's flesh of the bone if you clip them with yor wing as they will likely bounce off the wing instead of hitting the tyre tread, pretty sure it's based off a few isolated cases which shouldn't precedent over the vast majority of motoring deaths but such is the law. I know someone who got 3 points for tyre tread protruding a few mm from the arch. You are allowed 30mm of poke but no tread whatsoever, this is calculated from the top looking directly down at the arch. It likely wouldn't be checked during an mot if the poke was slight. However if the police stop you for good reason and notice it they will likely give you 3 points and a fine and 7 days to fix it. I'd say just fit stretched tyres that have no tread In the poke to make it fully legal. It's not worth the potential 3 points and a fine. Also traffic cops might stop you just for wheels with poke to check if there is tread and have seen people complain about this on other forums. Some who got 3 points for tread in the poke and some with very stretched tyres that were legal as no tread was showing and just got stopped for that reason a couple times. I just thought I'd say this so everyone knows as I'm sure you have a good chance of getting away with it forever depending on where and how and how much you drive. But I don't want anyone to think it's completely fine then end up with 3 points and a fine.  The more you know! 

8 hours ago, jevvy said:

I'd say just fit stretched tyres that have no tread In the poke to make it fully legal. It's not worth the potential 3 points and a fine. 

Good stuff, im on stretched tyres and tread is tucked in👌

Anyone else give me an idea for fitting and adjustment of coilovers? 

Examples of 340 and 270, these included height adjustment? If this is the case then even factoring in the extra 100 for alignment means I'm still way off. 

I'm running 18x10 +45 with 255/35/18 and no issues for rub running kw v3 with raceseng top hats cascam/ plates and spc rear lca no issues at all -2 in rear and -2.75 in front and in about a 3/4 gap in the wheel well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tim86 said:

Anyone else give me an idea for fitting and adjustment of coilovers? 

Examples of 340 and 270, these included height adjustment? If this is the case then even factoring in the extra 100 for alignment means I'm still way off. 

I paid £420 to blink Motorsport for fitting coilovers and whiteline camber bushes (much bigger job than your Eibach arms), alignment and set up.

I paid £596.40 to RRG Macclesfield (a main dealer in case you're not familiar with them) to fit coilovers, anti-roll bars, drop-links and rear arb braces, to fit mtec gearbox springs, refit some under bonnet clips that had been broken when my windscreen was replaced, fit and set a headlight adjuster, swap the lowering springs on the standard shocks I had back to the OEM springs and set the ride height and carry out a full alignment.

Based on my experiences I'd say what you've paid was definitely on the higher end.

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

I paid £420 to blink Motorsport for fitting coilovers and whiteline camber bushes (much bigger job than your Eibach arms), alignment and set up.

I paid £596.40 to RRG Macclesfield (a main dealer in case you're not familiar with them) to fit coilovers, anti-roll bars, drop-links and rear arb braces, to fit mtec gearbox springs, refit some under bonnet clips that had been broken when my windscreen was replaced, fit and set a headlight adjuster, swap the lowering springs on the standard shocks I had back to the OEM springs and set the ride height and carry out a full alignment.

Based on my experiences I'd say what you've paid was definitely on the higher end.

Holy crap, RRG Toyota fit aftermarket parts? I can only imagine what Dingles Toyota in Norwich would say to me if i'd have asked them- lol.

10 hours ago, Tim86 said:

Holy crap, RRG Toyota fit aftermarket parts? I can only imagine what Dingles Toyota in Norwich would say to me if i'd have asked them- lol.

Yep and they have for years. I specc'd my new car with a Milltek exhaust and Injen induction kit. They have fitted and supplied all the modifications to my car since.