AJ91

Buying Subaru BRZ/GT86 advice/owner info

Hello everyone! Next summer or this autum/winter ill be buying my dream car. Either a GT86 or BRZ 2012/2013 as a summer only car. Don't want to ruin this one with the salt that we have in Sweden.

Currently owning an Audi A5 which I daily drive all season but before the salt eats it away I will sell and put the funds towards the car I've always wanted.

I just wanted to check with you guys who own these what to mainly look out for when buying one and what differs the two, brz and gt86? 

I hardly see any Subarus with rusts even if they are 10 or more years old so im not worried about that and will try to look for one which has been out in the summer only, could be hard though. Hows the reliability otherwise on these? Cars do have weaknesses and as im buying a slightly older model it would be good to know what to look for.

I just love the look of these with a slight drop and 40/45 profile tires and driving an Audi now with 20 inch 30 profiles its going to be an absolute dream not having to look like a drunk person avoiding every little drop in the tarmac. 

I will most likely keep it stock except for Suspension and wheels (225/45/17 would fit)? 

Also hows the service costs like? I'm looking to get a manual for sure.

Anyway thanks for any help and info you may have that could help me in my search.

Hi! 

The differences between the GT86 and BRZ are mainly cosmetic. Spring rates differ between the two, apparently making the GT86 more lively and the BRZ less lively on the rear end, but the differences are relatively subtle. The BRZ has the lower spec interior with the low spec dash and different panels on the dash. It's only minor stuff though, seats dash back it's all the same. 

Service costs are cheap. Intermediate service around £150 and Full service £250 or so. They alternate. So first is intermediate and second is full service and so on. Servicing is every 10K miles/16K kms. Or servicing is yearly, whichever comes sooner. The 6 year or 60K miles 100K kms is when the spark plugs need changing so that's an expensive one. But the 80K mile 130K kms service is the most expensive of all as that is when the fuel filter needs replacing. 

They are reliable, no really significant issues. Some complain about difficulting downchanging to second gear when it's cold and this does happen in the first five minutes of driving, but they all do that really. Others have had problems with condensation in the rear lights and rusting of the pillars that seperate the quarter window on the front doors from the main window. These are robust cars I would say. 

A 225/45/17 gives a bit too much sidewall flex for my tastes, I went back to a 215/45/17, which I far prefer and the grip difference is very small. Don't forget a change from the Primacy tyres brings a good improvement. 

4 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

@Lauren well said, although I thought the different spring rates were for the newer model? 

They are different on the zenki between the GT86 and BRZ. The spring rates were changed for the kouki if that's what you mean. But they are the same AFAIK for both the new GT86 and BRZ. 

9 hours ago, Lauren said:

Hi! 

The differences between the GT86 and BRZ are mainly cosmetic. Spring rates differ between the two, apparently making the GT86 more lively and the BRZ less lively on the rear end, but the differences are relatively subtle. The BRZ has the lower spec interior with the low spec dash and different panels on the dash. It's only minor stuff though, seats dash back it's all the same. 

Service costs are cheap. Intermediate service around £150 and Full service £250 or so. They alternate. So first is intermediate and second is full service and so on. Servicing is every 10K miles/16K kms. Or servicing is yearly, whichever comes sooner. The 6 year or 60K miles 100K kms is when the spark plugs need changing so that's an expensive one. But the 80K mile 130K kms service is the most expensive of all as that is when the fuel filter needs replacing. 

They are reliable, no really significant issues. Some complain about difficulting downchanging to second gear when it's cold and this does happen in the first five minutes of driving, but they all do that really. Others have had problems with condensation in the rear lights and rusting of the pillars that seperate the quarter window on the front doors from the main window. These are robust cars I would say. 

A 225/45/17 gives a bit too much sidewall flex for my tastes, I went back to a 215/45/17, which I far prefer and the grip difference is very small. Don't forget a change from the Primacy tyres brings a good improvement. 

Thank you a lot for this, just further convinced me to buy one for sure.

Compared to my Audi the services are a lot cheaper it seems as well, doesnt hurt at all! I Heard about the rear light but im most likely swapping these for aftermarket in the near future.

Will keep a close eye on the pillars, but I would Think toyota/Subaru are miles ahead audi when it comes to goodwill if that would be the case in the future.

Will be prefering the Toyota over the Subaru but it doesnt really matter if I find the right spec/colour on either one.

Thanks again.

8 hours ago, PeterMc said:

What improvement can you expect changing from Primacy  tyres Lauren. Would you advise any other brand. Cheers. 

Whilst the Primacy tyre is good fun, it's not the most progressive tyre, so changing to a tyre that has more grip (but not too much) doesn't dull the fun and a more progressive tyre when you are over the limit of grip is more fun to play with and you can balance the car better. 

I really like the Yoko Advan V105 (extra load) and there's a good deal on them from RRG Macc too, which helps. 

Lauren: how those yokos do in wet? So far i was eyeing more to stock size (or a bit narrower, eg. 205/50) MPS4 .. but as i still haven't bought them, open to other options too.

11 minutes ago, Willtl said:

What do you consider is lower spec in the BRZ compared to the GT86? The only thing that stands out for me is the audio system.

Dodgy gumshield front end.

Less dealers, and worst customer service?

Audio system.

Gives delusions of grandeur... ;)

11 minutes ago, Willtl said: What do you consider is lower spec in the BRZ compared to the GT86? The only thing that stands out for me is the audio system.

Audio system.

Gives delusions of grandeur... 

So nothing other than the audio system (which is the first thing people will change).

36 minutes ago, Paul said:

Audio system.

Gives delusions of grandeur... ;)

you mean the mustache and my customer service was excellent, the previous owner of my car swapped the final drive which I was unaware of and after 500 miles of driving a bearing in the diff was fucked due to low oil, they replaced it all under warranty even though they saw the diff had been open previously

as for the audio system it's the same (bar the head unit) so no difference there

3 hours ago, Church said:

Lauren: how those yokos do in wet? So far i was eyeing more to stock size (or a bit narrower, eg. 205/50) MPS4 .. but as i still haven't bought them, open to other options too.

I think they're good. To compare with a Contisport Contact 5 which I've tried, they are not as good off the line, but are better under lateral g-force i.e., in the corners where the Contis seem to let go sooner. I've used them for the last 70K miles, I really like them.