Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

MY2017 GT86 Review Part 2- Dry roads

The first review I did of the new car back in February was in near freezing conditions and in wet and greasy conditions. Richard of RRG Toyota Macclesfield, asked if I'd like to try the car now temperatures and weather is becoming more spring like. 

Unsuprisingly I opted for the same usual test route, the 'Lauren Triangle' which covers the A534 out of Macclesfield, a left up onto the twisty A54 at Boseley and when I get to the top I take the infamous A537 Cat & Fiddle on the downhill back to Macc'. 

First impressions again are the car feels good. The ride is good and well resolved. Though the spring rate is reduced, the anti-roll bar thickness has been increased to compensate this. What you end up with is a more compliant ride, whilst the roll is as well controlled as before in the corners. The balance of the car stays the same. This is a good thing. Yes, you can provoke some understeer, but for me, I'm so used to trailing my braking into corners and my familiarity with the car, means that I just don't encounter understeer. This is almost the problem of knowing the GT86 so well, I've adapted my driving to get the most out of it, so it is a non-issue to me. As I remember in the last test drive, the track mode does it's stuff, allowing a bit more slip in the old sport mode which is a good thing too. I absolutely admit, that if I'm pushing on in my car, I will simply turn all the aids off, but I wonder if that extra bit of slip means track mode is simply enough on the public road not to warrant turning everything off. 

33064137564_6e595abcbe_c.jpgReview 2 MY2017 GT86 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

There's a part of me that realises that driving the car in slippery conditions almost elicited more information in terms of reviewing as it was far easier to break the limits of adhesion, though what is clear that in the dry the Primacy tyre offers plenty of grip. The car feels taught, responsive and the response from the throttle is clean and crisp. With the newer model car, oil temperature can be clearly seen. It was notable that with some brisk driving keep the revs high on the uphill A54, oil temperatures were around 110C. They do seem to increase quite quickly, but also come down fairly quickly too. 

33777863041_416d122cda_c.jpgReview 2 MY2017 GT86 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Overall, this second drive, merely confirms my first thoughts, I had back in February. This is a great car out of the box, handling wise it's more compliant than the older car, but just as much fun, nothing has been lost. It's a nicer place to be also thanks to the upgrades in the interior. The track mode allows a bit more fun without it getting too lairy and this is great news for the driver that wants to have fun, but may need to have their enthusiasm curbed by the stability control should they get carried away. I commented to Richard that in my mind, it is no issue that Toyota didn't increase the power, because if you can really drive it, you really don't need anymore and the reponsiveness of an NA engine is impossible to beat, it gives that sharpness to the response that is exactly what you need when balancing what is a great chassis mid-corner. I also take the viewpoint, that less is more, in that it encourages you to carry your momentum into the corners rather than simply rely on the skill deficit of point and squirt down the straights that so many do when the car is dominated by how much power it has. So working for it, is really what it's all about and this really, is what a great driver's car is all about. :)

Funny that I just come back from looking at one in a showroom (only one they had so no test drive) and that was the same spec and color as this. It's still "new" so there's not many used ones about yet as all will be in dealer hands. I went in for a look as I wanted to see for myself what bits had changed and while there are only small changes I agree with almost all of them, apart from losing the 86 logo on the canards but then gaining one on the lights so it's swings and roundabouts. I love the new wheel too as the only thing was I found the headunit control knobs a bit small so wheel controls will really help. The front bumper is growing on me too, even the spoiler seems more purposeful.

I'd love a Pro spec but would take a lot of man maths to justify. Something to work towards though.

33 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Forgot to ask - have they managed to tweak the mapping to smooth the torque dip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen photos of the display and it shows a torque dip but it's apparently shallower then before.

Engine is the same so torque dip is the same. There are probably some minor tweaks to the map, but it's difficult for me to compare with my own car which is remapped and obviously suffers less as a result. I don't know what the diameter of the rear ARB is, only that it's thicker than previously which would make sense with the reduction in spring rate. 

53 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Forgot to ask - have they managed to tweak the mapping to smooth the torque dip?

I can confirm that the mapping hasn't changed much on the EU models. AFAIK the power delivery should be the same.

Shame. That was the only thing that really needed fixing from a 'test drive appeal' point of view.

It feels slower than advertised on the standard map. Without the dip, I doubt it's actually that much faster but it feels as grunty as it should for the quoted power output.

I admit I was a bit underwhelmed by the engine when I test drove the original - but I held my nerve as every decent motoring journalist couldn't be wrong (they weren't )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk