Kul

WANTED 17 inch alloys

Is anyone selling a set of 17 inch forged alloys (not stock ones)? I'm in Leeds, but willing to travel to pick up a decent set.

Kul, given you are looking for forged wheels, you may as well state what you want as there aren't that many options really. You're looking at Rays etc for forged wheels. Was going to say TSW but pretty sure they don't come in 17". 

5 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Kul, given you are looking for forged wheels, you may as well state what you want as there aren't that many options really. You're looking at Rays etc for forged wheels. Was going to say TSW but pretty sure they don't come in 17". 

I have 17" x 8" TSW spun forged alloys which are made in America. There web site lists the wheel fittment for BRZ/GT86/FRS and tyre sized recommendations.

Yokohama uk are the importors and they also supply locking wheel nuts.

IMG_2512.JPG

16 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Lauren you've confused TSW with TWS I think ;) they do come in 16, 17 and 18 though.

1 minute ago, rob275 said:

Lauren you've confused TSW with TWS I think ;) they do come in 16, 17 and 18 though.

Yes probably! I blame Mike! ;) 

I have 17x8 Rays TE37, though they are like rocking horse poo second hand. A friend did manage to pick up some 17x17.5 CE28's though. Again, rocking horse poo. 

26 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I have 17x8 Rays TE37, though they are like rocking horse poo second hand. A friend did manage to pick up some 17x17.5 CE28's though. Again, rocking horse poo. 

Don't blame me you are loosing the plot and nothing to do with hair colour 😉

I have the oz racing aero alloys that I will be replacing shortly with 5m tread all round not sure what they'd be worth but I'd rather keep them than sell them under value 

6 minutes ago, jevvy said:

I have the oz racing aero alloys that I will be replacing shortly with 5m tread all round not sure what they'd be worth but I'd rather keep them than sell them under value 

OP said she was after forged though and the OZ's aren't.

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

Tell me about it.. I like the TE37... not seen them second hand yet. 

31 minutes ago, Kul said:

Tell me about it.. I like the TE37... not seen them second hand yet. 

I got a set, which were absolutely perfect for what I wanted. I jumped on it pretty quickly though to make sure I got them. You just need to keep your eye out really. I waited nearly a year for them to turn up and I admit, I was always of the persuasion that I wasn't going to change my wheels until the right set turned up. Worth the wait, but so hard to find. Mine came through a friend I know. 

What I would say is don't give up and go for fake wheels, i.e., copies like Rotas and JR's. Bide your time and you will find them eventually. Also even with a refurb they'll hold their value in a way copies won't. 

Another friend happened on a set of CE28's and I just told her to buy them straightaway. Nice wheels. :)

12 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I got a set, which were absolutely perfect for what I wanted. I jumped on it pretty quickly though to make sure I got them. You just need to keep your eye out really. I waited nearly a year for them to turn up and I admit, I was always of the persuasion that I wasn't going to change my wheels until the right set turned up. Worth the wait, but so hard to find. Mine came through a friend I know. 

What I would say is don't give up and go for fake wheels, i.e., copies like Rotas and JR's. Bide your time and you will find them eventually. Also even with a refurb they'll hold their value in a way copies won't. 

Another friend happened on a set of CE28's and I just told her to buy them straightaway. Nice wheels. :)

A year is a long time to wait Lauren.... good advice though...

When purchasing quality wheels second hand, such as the Rays, how can you tell they're not fakes? By fakes I mean actual knock offs made with the "real" markings etc, not simply design copies such as Rotas.

11 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

When purchasing quality wheels second hand, such as the Rays, how can you tell they're not fakes? By fakes I mean actual knock offs made with the "real" markings etc, not simply design copies such as Rotas.

It was easy with mine as they have 'Rays Eng' stamped on the inner side of the wheel where it mounts to the hub. Also the weight, obviously. Fakes won't be as light. 

Generally it is fairly easy to tell fake Rays wheels. It's not the problem it is with say Bride seats. 

On 4/5/2017 at 10:47 PM, Lauren said:

It was easy with mine as they have 'Rays Eng' stamped on the inner side of the wheel where it mounts to the hub. Also the weight, obviously. Fakes won't be as light. 

Generally it is fairly easy to tell fake Rays wheels. It's not the problem it is with say Bride seats. 

Lauren I ended up cancelling the deal with those other rays haha as i did the calculations I would have had to run a pretty badly stretched tire for them to just be legal or have flared the arches and it would have just been a bit on the edge and a bit of a pain. But i found a man who had imported a subaru from japan with 2000 miles on it, when he got it it came with CE28's bronze 17x8 and he had just put brand new Yokohama AD08's on them which wouldn't be my tire of choice necessarily as they're more of a track tire I think. After that he realized his brake kit didn't fit with them so had to change wheels and has sold them to me for £1000 with the tires and there are in perfect original condition with centre caps. So i think I didn't do too badly and the bronze should look amazing with my black car! Do you think I should change the tires straight away or do you think they will be okay for summer, definitely don't think they would be good in the cold. Thanks alot for being my agony aunt for wheelz <3

5 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Lauren I ended up cancelling the deal with those other rays haha as i did the calculations I would have had to run a pretty badly stretched tire for them to just be legal or have flared the arches and it would have just been a bit on the edge and a bit of a pain. But i found a man who had imported a subaru from japan with 2000 miles on it, when he got it it came with CE28's bronze 17x8 and he had just put brand new Yokohama AD08's on them which wouldn't be my tire of choice necessarily as they're more of a track tire I think. After that he realized his brake kit didn't fit with them so had to change wheels and has sold them to me for £1000 with the tires and there are in perfect original condition with centre caps. So i think I didn't do too badly and the bronze should look amazing with my black car! Do you think I should change the tires straight away or do you think they will be okay for summer, definitely don't think they would be good in the cold. Thanks alot for being my agony aunt for wheelz <3

@Ade has run the AD08R's through the winter so you should have no problems with them as a Summer tyre. I've run track biased tyres for the last few years through the summer with no issues 👍

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

@Ade has run the AD08R's through the winter so you should have no problems with them as a Summer tyre. I've run track biased tyres for the last few years through the summer with no issues 👍

Because they are so soft will they last all that long? Also whats the best lug nuts to get for my new wheels alot of people dont reccomend using the stock ones again. Also i dont know if i need ones with a special pitch.  

Rays for rays?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAYS-Style-Black-17-Hex-Lug-Nuts-and-Lock-Set-M12-1-25-Alloy-wheel-Nuts-R32-R33/221546048834?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40656%26meid%3D6f56eaa44aff457dab881babc9208c6c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D221546397641

these seem like they could be okay no?

They also do alloy nuts which show double the price in Japanese yen on the sticker but apparently aluminium nuts arent to be trusted

1 minute ago, jevvy said:

Because they are so soft will they last all that long? Also whats the best lug nuts to get for my new wheels alot of people dont reccomend using the stock ones again. Also i dont know if i need ones with a special pitch.  

Rays for rays?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAYS-Style-Black-17-Hex-Lug-Nuts-and-Lock-Set-M12-1-25-Alloy-wheel-Nuts-R32-R33/221546048834?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40656%26meid%3D6f56eaa44aff457dab881babc9208c6c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D221546397641

these seem like they could be okay no?

They also do alloy nuts which show double the price in Japanese yen on the sticker but apparently aluminium nuts arent to be trusted

The ones in the link aren't rays they're copies. Real Rays will be more like £100+.

I'll get about 2 years from my Cup 2's including some sprints and track days. I got just over a year from some federal 595 RSR's I ran before. They'll definitely wear quicker but how quick depends on your miles and use, etc

14 minutes ago, Deacon said:

The ones in the link aren't rays they're copies. Real Rays will be more like £100+.

I'll get about 2 years from my Cup 2's including some sprints and track days. I got just over a year from some federal 595 RSR's I ran before. They'll definitely wear quicker but how quick depends on your miles and use, etc

On 4/5/2017 at 10:47 PM, Lauren said:

Any idea what lug nuts I should get for my new rays, I dont think the stock ones will fit so will need aftermarket ones, preferably black 

11 hours ago, jevvy said:

Any idea what lug nuts I should get for my new rays, I dont think the stock ones will fit so will need aftermarket ones, preferably black 

Get Rays ones, but get the steel ones, there is an option on a variety of colours. I've got black ones on my car, they have Rays on the nuts. Just checked on the price £45 from Nengun, plus all the shipping and import duty of course. 

These look like the ones I have. https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/lug-nuts/vol-w1712125b-volk-racing-rays-17-hex-12x1-25-lug-nuts-black

As for the AD08R's. Well you can use them on the road. They may be a bit noisy which is the main annoyance. If it was me I'd change them for something more road orientated, but plenty of people run them as a road tyre. You could put the stock Primacy tyre on it if you wanted. 

Good news on the CE28N's then! :) 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Get Rays ones, but get the steel ones, there is an option on a variety of colours. I've got black ones on my car, they have Rays on the nuts. Just checked on the price £45 from Nengun, plus all the shipping and import duty of course. 

These look like the ones I have. https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/lug-nuts/vol-w1712125b-volk-racing-rays-17-hex-12x1-25-lug-nuts-black

As for the AD08R's. Well you can use them on the road. They may be a bit noisy which is the main annoyance. If it was me I'd change them for something more road orientated, but plenty of people run them as a road tyre. You could put the stock Primacy tyre on it if you wanted. 

Good news on the CE28N's then! :) 

thanks alot for that lauren, just ordered from nengun 3 day shipping was the 2nd cheapest option, 26£ for shipping tho : P cost 88£ total but atleast I can rest easy knowing that my wheels wont fall off! When putting them on should i put tape in my torque wrench to avoid scratching or is there any other method. Or are scratches just inevitable.

Also I bought the first second hand exhaust I could find (tomei type 80) and its particularly loud to be honest : P so the noise might not be an issue haha

8 minutes ago, jevvy said:

thanks alot for that lauren, just ordered from nengun 3 day shipping was the 2nd cheapest option, 26£ for shipping tho : P cost 88£ total but atleast I can rest easy knowing that my wheels wont fall off! When putting them on should i put tape in my torque wrench to avoid scratching or is there any other method. Or are scratches just inevitable.

Also I bought the first second hand exhaust I could find (tomei type 80) and its particularly loud to be honest : P so the noise might not be an issue haha

Tape can make things worse. The best thing is to get a properly fitting socket. You can get some with a plastic sleeve to stop it from marking the wheels and the one I have has a soft gold coating inside so that it helps protect the nuts.