Willtl

Parking sensor - comments please

Back in November 2015 I created this topic ->

I reported the issue to the dealer on the day I purchased the car and since purchasing the car they have had 3 or 4 attempts to fix the issue but still the issue persists. The last time I took the car in for it to be worked on was 16th Feb (2017). I have never been able to replicate the issue on demand (basically, sometimes when you put the car in reverse you just get a constant tone rather than it doing nothing until something comes into range, followed by a beep-beep to let you know how close you are to a near by object).

I think they have changed the module twice, the sensors once and on the last visit, wired the live differently and also replaced the reversing lights as someone within Subaru said that could be the issue. 2 days after the last "fix" I got the problem again so wrote to them to say I'd had enough and that they should make me an offer to purchase the car back. Each time I've visited the dealership I've had a 1.5 - 2 hours round trip and then sat in the waiting area for between 1 hour and 2 and a half hours (at the last visit I arrived at the agreed time but the guy doing the work didn't turn up for half an hour).

The dealership owner called me today and said that neither they or Subaru will buy the car back. When I suggested I should be compensated for my time, costs and inconvenience of the issue he disagreed saying that neither he or Subaru give compensation. When I mentioned that with hindsight I could have rejected the car within the first 30 days as it was a fault and it wasn't fit for purpose, he wanted to argue that it was fit for purpose as it didn't always happen.

The final excellent bit of customer service he offered was when I asked him to put in writing that he won't give any compensation. I was then told he won't do it, I asked why and was then told it is his company and he can do what he wants.

So my question is, do you think I am being unreasonable asking for compensation for an issue that has been present since I bought the car 15 months ago? Or does anyone agree with the dealer that I shouldn't get anything because I can't demonstrate the issue on demand (although I do have recordings of the problem)?

Regardless of what the responses are here, I won't be going back to Woodford Motor Company, they will not be getting a further penny from me for servicing or anything else. What I'm not sure about though is whether another dealership will take on the reversing sensor issue as it was dealer fitted so may not be covered under the normal warranty.

I can't believe this cannot be sorted. Surely replacing all the reversing sensor stuff is not that difficult. Had mine on for 94K miles without issue. I'd go to a different dealer. Try Toyota. 

It sounds like a dealer issue. Technicians with lack of knowledge and a bad after-sales department. I'd personally take it to another Subaru dealer or take it to a reputable dealer like RRG Macclesfield. But you'd have to pay for the repair as it wouldn't fall under warranty for Toyota. 

There has been a few similar issues i had experience in the past with where dirt can be caught in the sensor causing issues or the paint being too thick on the sensor or surroundings. 

Yeah, I'm not taking it to somewhere I have to pay to get something fixed that I ordered with the car and has never worked properly. The dealer have said that they will continue to work on the issue, but I think I've given them enough time and given the owner's attitude on the phone today, I've no intention of ever using them again. I'm going to have a word with CAB tomorrow to see if they think I have any grounds for compensation and then I'll see who my next closest Subaru dealership is.

Used to fit Cobra kits to Mitsubishi cars many years ago.  Seem to recall that if you cut the hole in the bumper slightly too small, it squeezed the sensor tight causing system problems. 

Another example of how bad the after sales is for some people with this car Subaru and Toyota I had one last outstanding issue which was going to be resolved now I've been stonewalled on that I have folders with quote Toyota with you all the way across them should have been thanks for your money next punter please the annoying thing is I don't have a problem with the make just the lacklustre people who sell them still warranty out in 12 weeks 

Should you get compensation? Yes.

Will you? IMHO, no.

This is what I'm coming to realise. When you compare Subaru dealership customer service with Audi's, it is pathetic. When our A6 arrived it did not have the folding mirrors as ordered. As a result of this they retrofitted them (which is the minimum you'd expect) and in addition, provided a lifetime warranty on them, gave me 3 years of free servicing and a £100 worth of Audi goodies from their catalogue.

When I had the car serviced this year (4th service so with a different dealership), they washed the car even though I'd told them not to and they had recorded not to wash it. When I complained I was given a £30 car wash kit.

Fairly certain I won't be buying a Subaru again.

How about asking them to fit a bumper without sensors and a full refund for the cost of rear parking sensors as they are not fit for purpose? If the rest of the car is ok it could be a compromise to suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you pay for any of the car on a credit card (£100+)? if so get in contact with your card issuer and raise a dispute for how much it would be to have the kit fitted at another dealer. You might be able to do this with a debit card (Visa does similar) but check your rights with whoever you bank with.

Subaru UK have basically said they can do nothing and if I want to use a different dealer, I will have to pay. They kindly included a link in their e-mail that goes to their site showing the list of dealers. Customer service at its finest.

I don't think it's brand specific. I've had great and terrible experience across all brands.

What is curious though, is that I have always found that the manufacturers are little helps if you escalate. Seems odd given that you'd think they'd care, but they give the impression of having little influence.

So now I just stick with dealers I trust locally. The brand is now secondary sadly.

16 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

I don't think it's brand specific. I've had great and terrible experience across all brands.

What is curious though, is that I have always found that the manufacturers are little helps if you escalate. Seems odd given that you'd think they'd care, but they give the impression of having little influence.

So now I just stick with dealers I trust locally. The brand is now secondary sadly.

I'm finding the same trouble is with many groups selling multiple brands have they got over confident thinking if you want a certain car you have to come to us?

I think the big dealer groups are more powerful than the distributors, yes. It's the only explanation for some of the crap.

We have decent Ford, Toyota, BMW, Jag and Peugeot dealers locally. All small chains or family run. Coincidence? No - don't think so.

All the garages that have lied or provided terrible service to me have been large groups. Lesson learned.

1 minute ago, Nicebiscuit said:

I think the big dealer groups are more powerful than the distributors, yes. It's the only explanation for some of the crap.

We have decent Ford, Toyota, BMW, Jag and Peugeot dealers locally. All small chains or family run. Coincidence? No - don't think so.

All the garages that have lied or provided terrible service to me have been large groups. Lesson learned.

I'm so pleased to see its not just down here and they are all big groups down my way I have a case number for my issues I will see how I get on

This has left me very disappointed with Subaru. I specifically told them that I don't want to use Woodford Motor company as they have had 4 attempts at fixing the issue. Subaru UK said that the dealership are entitled to use their own supplier for parts and as a result, they can only be fixed by that dealer. IMO, if I buy a brand new car (and the parking sensor was on the original order) the complete thing should be covered by the warranty and I should be able to take it to any dealer. Subaru UK should be responsible for their authorised dealers and if a dealer is of a poor quality and using parts that are of a poor quality, they should not only be stepping in to be taking care of my case, but also blasting the dealer as they are damaging the Subaru brand.

Still a lesson learnt. The first and last time I will be buying a Subaru and I will of course make sure that I relay this story to everyone I speak to about cars.

That is incredibly poor. I still don't understand why you can't go to another Subaru dealer for what is a warranty issue. 

I am confident that you would not have got that response from Toyota. 

I can't take it to another dealer under warranty because the parking sensor is not a Subaru part - they allow dealers to source non Subaru parts and if they are used, you are limited to warranty services from the dealer that fitted them.
Of all the cars I've owned from new (Alfa, Fiat, Dodge, Audi and Subaru), when it comes to after sales service, Subaru collectively (both the dealership and Subaru UK) are in a different league. The one right at the bottom.

56 minutes ago, Willtl said:

I can't take it to another dealer under warranty because the parking sensor is not a Subaru part - they allow dealers to source non Subaru parts and if they are used, you are limited to warranty services from the dealer that fitted them.

It was on your new order form, fitted to your car from new. That excuse (and it IS an excuse) is utter bullshit.

That is shocking, dare I say it but plaster this all over social media and see if they'll do anything then, I heard stories of people complaining on social media then getting resolved rather quickly.