Adam9

Under floor Sub

Looking at the inevitable ice install and trying to come up with full stealth solutions for the sub. I'm planning on fabricating something myself and was wondering if anyone else has anything implemented here, if so I'd love to see some pictures of what you or your installers have done.

I'm pretty sure @Lauren you have something similar, do you have any pics of the enclosure under the false floor?

It's an awkward very shallow space, Ideally it would be fiberglassed but I'm trying to avoid that as it's an incredibly messy job in the boot of my pristine new car! 

Ayy, my jbl is in the spare wheel well. Hate the way the boot liner sags over it though 

IMG_1877.JPG

Rattles were pretty much non existent in summer. Only a couple of little ones now, but really depends. Some really bass heavy songs have no rattle issues whatsoever, other lighter songs rattle a bit. Guess it depends on the frequency, but I've found low bass is ok, mid bass is where there are more issues.

I agree, good audio is difficult in these cars as they are built like tin cans, I have the JBL system and the sub used to rattle a bit, tightening up the screws and sticking on some sound deadening got rid of that. The door cards are by far the worst, anything above 80Hz and they rattle like crazy. Deadening and sealing the doors will do wonders, i plan to do this soon and add a crossover to the door speakers, they struggle covering full range.

Thanks all, this isn't my first rodeo so I'm aware of the pitfalls of lack of sound deadening and rattling trim. The plan isn't to turn it into an SPL weapon but to increase the sound quality significantly, a little deadening/damping material can go a long way without introducing a lot of weight. I'm mostly interested in custom fabrication in the wheel well at this stage, looks like fiber-glassing might have to be the way to go, this looks ideal:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38852

Pic of how it looked when it was done:

24313269006_00f2e97d29_c.jpgIMG_3161 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Install:

15733470683_791657bc1d_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

16167554997_287c470a0f_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

16327469336_cc1222f2b8_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

16167229839_a00727054d_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

16353434625_0aca569517_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Mine was a pro-install. 

You also may want to consider changing the stock head unit as there are no pre-outs for an amp on the stock one and well, it's not very good. Ditto the shocking front speakers. In the end I went the whole hog and removed all the stock components was there as nothing worth keeping. 

Thanks Lauren, that's really helpful. I agree reflecting off the windscreen is probably not the ideal location for the tweeters, I will probably try a few locations. Shame the usual A pillar location isn't available on the GT but yours look like the next best option.

Plan is to replace the head unit, add a MiniDSP, 4 channel amp and run it 3 channel  to a set of probably morel Tempo  speakers in the doors and a Peerless XLS 10 Sub if I can get it all to fit. Just trying to figure it all out before I start buying things.

FYI, for a cheap solution to help keep the boot lining up in the middle, I managed to nab the polystyrene block that holds the tyre foam etc. from someone else who didn't need it anymore (annoyingly mine was thrown out when they fitted the JBL system which was a bit annoying), then cut out the inside so the sub can sit inside while keeping the boot lining up in the middle.

3 hours ago, Keethos said:

FYI, for a cheap solution to help keep the boot lining up in the middle, I managed to nab the polystyrene block that holds the tyre foam etc. from someone else who didn't need it anymore (annoyingly mine was thrown out when they fitted the JBL system which was a bit annoying), then cut out the inside so the sub can sit inside while keeping the boot lining up in the middle.

Is the sound still ok? They gave me that with the car but I haven't thought to do that, went straight in the attic

Not that I can tell (I'm definitely no audiofiliac) but considering it is covered by the boot lining anyways....plus I assumed it was designed to fit inside a spare wheels which would do the same thing.

Yes, I had dynamat put in the door panels too, against the outer skin which I guess also helps. 

I was hoping you can see it in this pic, but you can't!

16167557377_0fe5f6aa3f_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

And the crossover in the door panel:

16167557867_49c9151f3c_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

I also went for an amp working on three channels, one for the amp and the other two for the front speakers. My rear speakers are disconneceted as they are well totally useless. 

Thanks Lauren, that's really helpful. I agree reflecting off the windscreen is probably not the ideal location for the tweeters, I will probably try a few locations. Shame the usual A pillar location isn't available on the GT but yours look like the next best option.

Plan is to replace the head unit, add a MiniDSP, 4 channel amp and run it 3 channel  to a set of probably morel Tempo  speakers in the doors and a Peerless XLS 10 Sub if I can get it all to fit. Just trying to figure it all out before I start buying things.

We've been talking on talk audio so thought id introduce myself here.

Looks like you'll have it done before me as I dont get much time these days to get it all installed.

P.s. regarding headunits, depending on what you want but the best double din for an active setup is the pioneer avh-X3800 (or the 5800) as it has a half decent dsp which im sure you know is essential for good sound.

The 3800 has decent time alignment resolution, 16band EQ (not individual channles though just overall) and built in crossovers so you wouldnt need the mini dsp at all. I almost bought one myself.

23 hours ago, Ade said:

We've been talking on talk audio so thought id introduce myself here.

Looks like you'll have it done before me as I dont get much time these days to get it all installed.

Ahh thought it was likely to be someone from here. Pretty sure you will have it done first, seems like you already have most of the kit.

23 hours ago, Lauren said:

Forgot to add, definitely go with a DSP, it's great to have all the timings and levels set. 

16353434095_fd96f13b08_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Yeah I wouldnt miss out on that, unless as Ade says I end up with a headunit with DSP I will likely be using a miniDSP and REW.