Lowe

GT86 Snow driving - hints please!

On 14/01/2017 at 9:27 AM, Gringosteve said:

Had my first snow drive in the 86 yesterday.

1. Struggled to reverse off my slopped drive even with Traction control off

2. Slowly progressed down our hill, tested brakes before bottom. They locked. Slid at very low speed for a fair distance nearly hitting a parked car

3. Sliding built up a bit of snow in front of the tyres so then couldn't get moving down the hill again until I wheel spun the snow out of the way.

In summary, it was entertaining considering only half an inch of snow. I have a lot of snow driving experience (worked in Finland for a winter) but this was my first attempt with RWD. In heavy snow it will be staying on the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you didn't get into real trouble!

In a nutshell, this is why I have winter tyres, despite the fairly narrow situations in which they save the day. The main advantage in my book is having plenty of grip in the winter with it wet and foul, but you also have a shot at control when it gets worse. It is my only car, and I'd not bother if I didn't have somewhere to stash spare rims between seasons.

12 hours ago, Lowe said:

Well I got her home yesterday with no issues. Snow held off and whilst it was wet, it was actually fairly sunny. Still took it easy on the way home, just cruised in the inside lane and was surprised when I got just over 47 to the gallon as an average across the 80 or so miles! 

Shocking! I tend to find mine overestimates by a couple of mpg versus the pump calculations, but still a mighty efficiency for the car! Don't forget to drive it vigorously too!

I've opened her up a couple of times, but I'm a:) a newbie to RWD and b:) it's still pretty wet and miserable out. 

I expect a couple of mpg difference between pump/computer - that's usually the sample rate of the computer not being quick enough to keep up with the pedal position. If you're driving smoothly I find they're pretty bob on. Start to drive a little more enthusiastically and the margin for error creeps in. :)