Sign in to follow this  
Deacon

Tow straps

I'd like to pick up a couple of tow straps to fit for while the cars on track. I've done some googling and can't seem to find definitive answers over whether this is possible using the standard tow hole position and fixing in the front and rear bumpers. 

Anyone done it or know if it is doable?

10 minutes ago, Tareim said:

just done a quick google search and found this

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1170968&postcount=446

Cheers Sam - I'd literally read that thread but he doesn't say what he did about opening up the hole in the tow strap bracket - the bolt is 16mm and the hole is 13mm. I'd guess it's just been drilled out but then I'd have concerns about it weakening the bracket too much.

Also not keen on cutting the bumper foam. 

Some people seem to have used an extension tube with a 16mm thread one end and a 13mm thread the other but I'm not sure if these are something that they've made themselves or bought. I can't seem to find a source so I'm guessing they're custom which sadly is not something I have the tooling to produce.

Haha yea I've had tow strap for over a year now that I wanted mainly for looks tbh but it seems you can't bloody fit straps properly and easily to the front of our cars. I was hoping to find some sort of extension that comes out like a tow hook but then you have the strap hanging down, I guess a thick ended bolt with a thread inside it but had no luck finding anything of the sort.

I might look at this Raceseng thing or failing that maybe I could just find a REALLY long bolt and just screw it in as far as it'll go :lol:

38 minutes ago, Ztox said:

Haha yea I've had tow strap for over a year now that I wanted mainly for looks tbh but it seems you can't bloody fit straps properly and easily to the front of our cars. I was hoping to find some sort of extension that comes out like a tow hook but then you have the strap hanging down, I guess a thick ended bolt with a thread inside it but had no luck finding anything of the sort.

I might look at this Raceseng thing or failing that maybe I could just find a REALLY long bolt and just screw it in as far as it'll go :lol:

Looking on the US forum someone there had a custom adaptor made so it was basically an extension bar with a 16mm thread on end and a whole for a 13mm bolt the other. It saved you having to drill out the hole in the tow strap and from cutting the bumper foam.

Nice, I might have to look into it again then although saying that I'll likely not bother if it requires any more effort than buying something and screwing it in lol