Willtl

High pitched whine when idling

Just got back from a 20 mile run tonight and getting out of the car noticed a high pitch whine when idling. Sounds like something is loose, if I had to guess, a belt.

Going to call the dealer up tomorrow to see when I can take it in for a listen, but not impressed as only on about 6k.

Did you get this problem only when the engine was hot? I've not used the car since Wednesday and was taking it in today. Started the car and no whining. :angry:

Drove to the garage and filled up, drove home and still no whining.

Have the service in 2 weeks so said I'd wait until then for them to have a look at it unless the problem happens before then. In the meantime, send them the .wav file.

Yep. I never had the issue when I commuted to/from work, but any more than around 30 minutes of driving and it was quite obvious.

Since the warranty swap I've not heard it.

39 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Yep. I never had the issue when I commuted to/from work, but any more than around 30 minutes of driving and it was quite obvious.

Since the warranty swap I've not heard it.

Ok, that means this could still be the issue.

26 minutes ago, LordGrover said:

Is this the infamous chirp?

I think I may get it, but it's never been a big issue for me. More character building.

I wondered what that is and if it is this, I certainly wouldn't be happy to put up with it. When I first heard it Wednesday there was another car near by and I thought it was coming from that.

3 minutes ago, Willtl said:

I wondered what that is and if it is this, I certainly wouldn't be happy to put up with it. When I first heard it Wednesday there was another car near by and I thought it was coming from that.

Go out for a drive then stop and video it on your phone. Anyone who's had the issue would recognise the sound straight away and tell you yes or no :)

100% identical to the noise I had. Sounds more exagerrated on yours, but I'm going to assume you had the bonnet open and were recording that from fairly close proximity. If that's the case, my (not at all) expert opinion would be it's the fuel pump chirp :)

1 hour ago, S18 RSG said:

100% identical to the noise I had. Sounds more exagerrated on yours, but I'm going to assume you had the bonnet open and were recording that from fairly close proximity. If that's the case, my (not at all) expert opinion would be it's the fuel pump chirp :)

Yes, bonnet open (I also had a bonnet closed version) but I thought I'd load up the Tesco finest version.

So, after getting the noise it has never happened since, even though I have driven much longer journeys. Had the car serviced today and the dealer had already checked my fuel pump, I already had the revised version. :angry:

Mine's just started doing this, noticed it last night when stuck in a traffic jam. It's that loud I can hear it from inside the car with the windows up!

Going to see if I can put up with it for now, haven't really got time available to take it in. I assume this doesn't actually hurt anything other than my ears?