rob275

Odd clicking noise from steering rack

So for the past week reversing out my driveway i'm hearing a clicking noise when turning the wheel whilst reversing. It seems to be coming from the steering rack area and the only reason i'm posting is I haven't really had a chance to look at where the noise it coming from exactly and pinpoint the problem.

Has anyone had this? It literally seems to only be audible when reversing which is strange. The easiest way to describe the sound is if you get a pen and flick the clip on it. I reckon it's not something too sinister and probably one of my dodgy cable ties catching the rack :lol:

Well i've only noticed it reversing at low speed out my driveway. It's not particularly loud and sounds internal. I'd hazard it's been there for a while i've just not heard it due to my exhaust but now I have the OEM one back on.

EDIT: Not so sure now, wound the window down at lunch and could hear it outside. Doesn't occur all the time though.

My bet would be on coil bind too. And not that it doesn't happen at higher speeds, just that at higher speed that noise drowns in road/engine noise, but is heard during low/quiet speed. Maybe you can visit some wide parking lot and try few maneuvers forth & back steering from right to left.

2nd version - something with wheel bearings.

2 minutes ago, rob275 said:

Will see if I can get some time to have a play on the weekend. I've not had a free weekend for like 3 months :mellow:

Too busy polishing cars making money to splash out on more mods you dont have time to fit :lol:

In all seriousness it probably is just coil bind, what I was telling you I had before. I'll tell you if it sounds the same as mine when I see you Saturday