S18 RSG

Side Markers

I just spoke to James from Amber as I needed to order my 3rd set of side markers in the past year, and he mentioned that other people had compained about what I had.

Anybody on here had an issue with the side marker clips being shit and coming undone all the time?

My original side markers came unclipped on a drive back home from a Midlands meet, smashing when they got caught in my wheels. The replacement Valenti side markers have now suffered the same fate, but rather than staying on the car, this one just flew off and I have no idea where it is.

Anyone know of a fix? I'm highly tempted to just use some superglue or similar and never be able to take them out, but surely there's a better way.

I have glued one of mine in as it kept popping out and haven't had any problem since. I didn't us much glue either so if i need to remove them still should be able to get them out :) 

2 things. How's the bumper sitting? It's a common Subaru issue for bumpers to sag and it's the same on this car, that will cause the side marker to not sit flush. The other thing is to adjust the rear clip. Did this on mine after someone else suggested it and it now stays in fine. I knew this was an issue as I'd removed my OEM ones a couple of times but my Valentis never sat flush. After the clip adjustment they sit better and tight but I think the bumper is a hanging a little preventing it from being 100% flush.

I've had issues fitting both Faith's and mine as the main bent metal clip

Image result for valenti side marker rear

(one on the far left) seem to stick out too much and won't fit in without having to bend it back before hand with some pliers, but then you run the risk of over bending it which means it won't stay in and continually fall out.  Mine don't sit flush but they do stay in.....unless you're car takes an impact which caused mine to come loose and eventually fall out while I was going round track.

Interesting couple of points there.

The OEM ones fitted flush, and only the passenger side ever popped out. The Valenti's don't sit quite as flush, but not really too noticable. Again, only the passenger side ever pops out, drivers side is fine.

Bumpers certainly doesn't fit fantastically. The pointed corner under the headlight rubs on the headlight and has peeled away a small bit of paint, the join between front wing and bumper on both sides is typically poor also. I wouldn't be surprised if these are contributing factors.

The annoying thing is, when I fitted the Valenti side markers, they seemed to sit in well, and only once or twice in the past 4 months have they popped out of the clip. It's been at least a month since it popped out last, and all of a sudden it pops out when driving, the cable extends and they get caught, and suddenly I have no side marker anymore. It's a slippery slope.

My new ones should be here tomorrow thanks to James, so when I fit them I think a dab of industrial strength glue from the COSHH cupboard in work may be involved.

7 minutes ago, Keethos said:

If you still have the passenger one, try bending the metal tab that I mentioned out, might be a bit more hassle getting it in but might stay in.

Unfortunately not. I have the stock passenger side one, but the lens smashed when it got unclipped and caught in my wheels. When the Valenti one came unclipped during my drive to work this morning, it just came off and I now have a hole where it should be.

I will try bending that tab on the new ones though.

As Keethos said, what's happening is that the clip is not holding it. Even though it clicks in, you need to ensure that it won't just pull out easily. I spent 5 mins looking at the bracket and then adjusting the clip so that it would hold. It makes it quite hard to actually push into place when done correctly. Mine now needs a screwdriver to remove like the OEM one does.

I had 2 get a second set as I wrecked mine with glue remover after eventually getting them fitted properly by Toyota lol (spent a combined 3 hours trying myself and with others with no joy). I fitted the second set myself within a few minutes including adjustments and have had no problems with them (no one else including Toyota could fit the second set). The problem I found is that the tab in question sticks out too far and you will see this if you compare it to OEM. I used pliers to pull them out a little and then squeeze them to bring them in a bit making them look the same as OEM, they then clip in properly with a loud click and only come out if I want them too. I'm pretty sure if you bend them out they'll be worse, I don't know how anyone can get them in after bending them out haha :lol: This makes it worse IMO. There is a video guide online somewhere backing up the exercise of pulling them out of where they sit a bit but I don't think it mentions squeezing them against the plastic holding them, this was required for me.

Before I figured this out, I'd previously got them to 'pop' in after greasing them up but they weren't actually going in/catching properly, didn't quite sit flush and would pretty easily ping back out. It sounds like this is the level of fitment you've been achieving up until now. Mine now go in and come out easily but are in for good if I want them to be. It's a shame you're not closer :P

Yeah, I'd like someone who's done them before to have a look. I've fitted the new ones already, but I'm still not too confident in them, although they've not come out in the past 5 days since being fitted.

Perhaps we can have a look at the next meet :)