Sign in to follow this  
KobayashiMaru

Tyre Decisons

Rears on the 86 are getting low but there's loads of tread left on the front ones. Still on Primacy's at 17k but what I'm not sure of is how long they last. Am I better off sticking another pair of Primacy's on for now? The plan eventually is to go 18's and put Michelin's on those and winter tyres on the standard wheels. I've narrowed wheel choice down to a few but part of me is thinking hold off a little longer, wear out what we have then the changeover cost is lower. But if the rears last another 17k that's ages away. Average mileage is 10k a year, maybe more since it's a car to just have fun driving about in too. 

I could rotate them but rears while legal are on 3mm so don't have much left anyway. What wear rates are people finding front to rear and on the Primacy's. How you drive is a massive factor but my brother doesn't slide about in it as he's still getting used to it. The miles it's doing mainly are motorway and duals on the commute to work. 

Just get the wheels and tyres bought. I've got a set of stock wheels and barely worn Michelins that'll only ever see the car again if I sell it :-)

Hated the stock tyres. I don't regret not getting the wear out of them one bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock wheels will be getting winters at some point. I'll be buying those sooner rather than later before prices go up.

Driven normally, what sort of mileages are people getting out of tyres on an 86? Primacy's on 17's or anything better on an 18's

Speak to Riceburner about a set of Yoko V105's. He will do you a good deal. SEOT. 

As for mileage. Primacy was 14K for the rears 25K for the fronts.

Yoko V105's 7K rears 20K+ fronts. I do do track stuff though. I steer with the rear mainly. ;)

Got nearly 24k out the primacys with regular rotation and a few track days, had a spare set so swapped over the rears 1k earlier than the fronts, then finished them off completely on track a few weeks later. Just below 3mm when I stopped using them on the road and down to nearly 2mm after the last track session.

V105's are cheaper than primacy's and grippier so if I get 18k out of them rotated (gentle driver, captain slow reputation) it's better value and more smiles per miles  :)

Don't mix and match, my car behaved very badly with primacy on the front and rainsport 3's on the rear. I've got rainsports all round now and it's much better. 

47 minutes ago, un1eash said:

Don't mix and match, my car behaved very badly with primacy on the front and rainsport 3's on the rear. I've got rainsports all round now and it's much better. 

I've got primacies on the front of mine and v105s on the rear and don't have any issues, whether or not that's because my primacies are slightly stretched onto my 8j wheel?

6 hours ago, CanaryWundaboy said:

I run ContiSport 5's on my 18x8.5 as an alternative to the Yokos.

What tyre width are you running? Debating on whether to run a 9inch or an 8inch wheel, but don't want do go over a 225 tyre width.

2 hours ago, TTR said:

What tyre width are you running? Debating on whether to run a 9inch or an 8inch wheel, but don't want do go over a 225 tyre width.

8.5 would be ideal for 225

3 minutes ago, Tareim said:

8.5 would be ideal for 225

The wheels that I'm after only come in 8" or 9". Would 8" be a little too narrow to run 225 and 9" a little too wide? Or would I get away with either?

21 minutes ago, TTR said:

The wheels that I'm after only come in 8" or 9". Would 8" be a little too narrow to run 225 and 9" a little too wide? Or would I get away with either?

as Dan said, too much stretch for a 9 but I have 225/45 on an 8 for the rear and its a straight setup, i.e no stretch so you will get some sidewall flex when really pushing it

17 hours ago, Lauren said:

Speak to Riceburner about a set of Yoko V105's. He will do you a good deal. SEOT. 

As for mileage. Primacy was 14K for the rears 25K for the fronts.

Yoko V105's 7K rears 20K+ fronts. I do do track stuff though. I steer with the rear mainly. ;)

Thanks. That's really good mileage even out of the Yoko's. Judging by that then rotating will be the best thing for now. That should last until almost winter where I can swap over to winters. Get the new wheels and tyres bought then come Spring it will feel like a new car again.