Sign in to follow this  
long-gone

Suspension

Some may find this video of interest: How Shocks Work (part of a very interesting series if you're a saddo-nerdy-geek like me).

I've noticed many topics comparing supposed merits of various aftermarket systems from budget, to mid-range to high-end, but apart from subjective 'feel' very little about actual measured performance. Is there anyone in the UK to offer such a service or advice?

4 minutes ago, daidaiiro said:

Is there anyone in the UK to offer such a service or advice?

When you say such a service or advice what do you mean exactly? 

Companies like tein can custom make dampers for chosen spring rates for you as can places like ast/moton. 

Centre gravity are amazing at setting up suspension but don't make it. 

GPRM race team can supply Koni stuff I believe but have testing facilities to measure the damping and rebound rates etc.

No idea if they'd test people's suspension on request or not.

With suspension, it is very difficult to "measure" performance because it is only one part of a working system.

The driver, the suspension, the anti-roll bar, the tyres, the track / road surfaces, all combine and work together.

This is how "vehicle dynamics" are calculated, and in a way it is different for everyone.

There are some constant variable such as heat fade resistant and durability.

There are some suspension that are design incorrectly such as having way too much damping force for the springs rate.

But to really understand how everything works, one really need some basic understanding of vehicle dynamics, not just how a damper work.

If you look online, alot of people post up a "force vs. velocity" dyno, and use that to "gauge" how good a damper is.

From where I am sitting, if I get shown a "force vs velocity" dyno, I wouldn't actually know what show because it doesn't actually show "how" the damping force is generated.

The main thing to remember is that suspension need to fit the driver's need.

An expensive 3-way race suspension will get out performed by a budget 1-way coilovers if this is for a daily fast road car.

Higher price don't always mean better suspension, and more adjustment just mean more to go wrong if driver do not know how to set it up.

Jerrick