un1eash

How often should the TC light come on?

I've had my GT86 for a month now and been exploring what it can do. It's on part worn primacy tyres in the front and new uniroyal rainsport 3's on the rear. 

It seems really easy to get the TC light to come on and on bends I get the TC light and loud clunky noise from the LSD without really pushing it that hard. Is this normal?

Is it my driving style as I'm use to having out right grip from my Elise which has no driver aids, I expected the GT to have more grip before any aids kicked in. 

It depends on what driving mode you use. If you keep it in normal mode, the traction control is very intrusive. Sport mode gives you a bit more freedom, but any slight bit of upset will likely still bring the light on. 

I tend to drive with TC fully off for most faster driving as the car is communicative enough to keep it under control without any computing, however, even when driving in normal or sport, I can't recall hearing a clunky noise from the diff. Perhaps an oil change may be in order? It's a recommendation from most knowledgeable places anyway.

Are you sure it's the diff and not the brakes on the rears? That makes a noise when it's stopping you from having fun.

Even with TC fully off you can still get the traction light flashing at you, not sure what it's doing at that point though...

Short answer though is that the standard car doesn't have that much grip by design, especially on the Michelins.

I wouldn't fancy the mix you have much - the Michelins let go quite readily in the damp whereas those Uniroyals are rather good. Does it under steer at all?!

Mines now on Yokohamas and so much better.

Personally I'd get a couple more Uniroyals.

It's never going to grip like an Elise though - apart from anything else it's a lot heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound pretty normal. But without sitting with you and seeing how you drive it, it's difficult to tell. Mine comes on quite a lot, to the point where I don't really notice it. It's in sport mode all the time (I only turn everything off If I want to get serious really) and the TC lights flashes away quite a lot. I wouldn't worry about it. 

I was thinking of putting some uniroyals on the front also so it's got the same tyres all round, it does understeer a little if you push it in the damp/wet.

Just been out again in sport mode and it still does it but less, I really have to push it and upset the car to get it to kick in. Where it would do it before, in sport mode I get wheel spin instead so it's not interfering as much. 

Looks like a learning process, still getting use to how quick I'm going as you don't feel the speed.

I would match front and rear. The Primacy tyre will have less grip than your Uniroyals I would have thought, which will cause an imbalance in the handling. Seems like it's a period of adjustment more than anything for you. 

Don't forget brand new tyres will need running in so they might not be as grippy to begin with.....that plus hasn't it been a bit wet recently anyways?  It's always going to be a bit more playful in the wet.

Had a couple of really dry hot days so pushed the car a bit to find its limits. I've got another set of uniroyals coming today so hopefully have them fitted later to the front. 

They do take a while to wear in, was the same on other cars I've used them on but they should of had chance to wear in by now. Next will be getting the geo checked to make sure everything is setup correct.  

Bet it'll be much better. But having had those Uniroyals on another car - dry grip is okay, but where they really shine is in the damp and wet. In many ways the ideal British road tyre.

I bet you'll find it a big improvement.

But bear in mind the car is supposed to slide. Was never designed for grip, although I like a little more myself and on 18x8s shod with better tyres it does.

Still think you're comparing apples and pears with an Elise though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The uniroyals seem to take a few hundred miles to properly bed in, was the same on my Celica. Having driven the car with uniroyals all round now its a lot better, it actually feels like you have 4 wheels on the ground now and the steering has some weight to it. I don't think I've had the traction system braking the rears for me once yet. Turn in is much better and the car is more point and shoot now, I can get on the power earlier out of corners and it has better change of direction similar to that of a Swift Sport that changes direction like a house fly. Braking and traction off the line also improved.

I was never expecting Elise levels of grip as that just sticks to the road like no other but the GT now has the grip and handling I was expecting which is more on par, actually better than the other coupes I've driven.

Goodyears take 300 miles to bed in, always have done on past cars. Braking distances were noticeably longer until I'd used a tank of fuel up. After that they were fine. PS4's for me next time though

BRILLIANT thanks CanaryWundaboy.   I do not recall ever noticing it flashing so I must do more aggressive driving to ensure it is working. Normally I rely on shrieks from my wife.

Did you just go for a burn now and take that pic?? If so, someone does not have their seatbelt done up, you drove with the handbrake on and there's something amiss with your engine.:P