long-gone

Grover's ginger jap

13 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said: I suppose in the end you don't know the history of the car. A previous owner might have run it low on oil for example.

He's had it since release, no other owners

Ah - apologies - confusing it with another one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you got it sorted dude, any word on what caused it then?  I feel your conundrum with keeping or getting rid of the car since "something" has happened to her, I still get a horrible sinking feeling when I start to hear noises and get paranoid that something else is damaged or something but it's character, you've had the car for so long and had amazing journeys with the car that it'll be a shame to get rid so soon.  For me, I've pondered with the idea of getting another (still nothing really out there that I'd want to replace it with) but then I don't reckon I'd get much for her given her history and then it'll feel like I have to start all over again with my mods etc. which to some people is a nice fresh start, for me, I kinda like what I've done to her so far. 

I've not been told the reason for failure. The dealer has to return the failed parts to Toyota for investigation but I'll be surprised if I get hear anything meaningful.

Selling soon has it's positives; new engine and clutch with fresh one year warranty, and there's eight months of original five year warranty remaining. It also has pretty much new Bilstein B14 coilovers and an ECUTeK licence (though no custom map) which may be seen as a positive to some buyers. Selling later with little or no warranty remaining will likely not be as sellable.

I have the modified AVO turboworld 2.1/2" cat-back exhaust and TD UEL manifold to sell separately as they are no longer fitted. I'd probably re-fit the stock wheels and sell the OZ Racing Ultraleggera.

My head and heart say sell, but the question remains; with what to replace it? It's an awesome car and I genuinely love it. It's a bit like being married to Michelle Pfeiffer and discovering she's been shagging the hired help - still everything she was before, but can you trust her not to do it again?

If I do sell I'll be looking at something a bit more languid and lazy, something I can live with without/less fear of being unfaithful. So switching Michelle for the girl next door - BMW Z4, Mazda MX-5 or maybe a classic older model (MILF) E31 850.

Dunno... still pondering. 

13 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

If you want something lazier but still with a bit of a bite in the tail try a BMW 1 series coupe. Underrated.

M235/240 fits that bill even better ;) I still can't decide whether to scratch the i6 itch with one and ditch the 86. Saw one with the M Performance kit on recently, looks as good as it sounds/goes. Is set up better than all 1 series coupes, bar the 1M, which I would suggest it's almost on a par with. It's not really a "half M" but more a 3 quarters one. Fits the lazy bill well too as I'm sure it'd be a better GT than the 86. The only downsides to the 86 are running costs, looks and that it's more common.

On 12/28/2016 at 8:25 AM, knightryder said:

M235/240 fits that bill even better ;) I still can't decide whether to scratch the i6 itch with one and ditch the 86. Saw one with the M Performance kit on recently, looks as good as it sounds/goes. Is set up better than all 1 series coupes, bar the 1M, which I would suggest it's almost on a par with. It's not really a "half M" but more a 3 quarters one. Fits the lazy bill well too as I'm sure it'd be a better GT than the 86. The only downsides to the 86 are running costs, looks and that it's more common.

The weight of the thing is another downside.

I had a 130i for a couple years, great engine but you really feel the mass on country lanes and b-roads. An 86 is far more agile.