Sign in to follow this  
Captain Duff

Abarth 124 Spider

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/124-spider/first-drive-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GglRPaz0Yo

Love the look, love the sound, love the roof, not so keen on the price (around £29k, £10k more than the standard 124 Spider, or MX5 come to that), but is it a serious rival to the 86 or not?

It isn't really a rival to the GT86/BRZ because it is for a slightly different audience with a different budget. If you are set on having a convertible, you won't be interested in the GT86. If you want that massive rear passenger space, you won't be interested in the Fiat (or MX5). The list is longer than that, but you get my point.

I do, but the other thing is that by £30k you're into very decent s/h Boxster territory. Would be hard to say no to that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or a Focus RS, or save a bit more for a Mustang.

They're not really rivals either - but a Boxster has to be the benchmark for a 2 seater softtop...

Abarth have always been a bit odd. I had a 500, which at the bottom of the range was a bit of fun for a small premium over the Fiat variant. But then it quickly got silly with some eye-wateringly expensive special editions.

And in any case, if truth be told the twin-air was better anyway if you want a 500. The Abarth pushed a fairly limited platform a bit too far... Very cute though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/14/2016 at 1:22 PM, Willtl said:

It isn't really a rival to the GT86/BRZ because it is for a slightly different audience with a different budget. If you are set on having a convertible, you won't be interested in the GT86. If you want that massive rear passenger space, you won't be interested in the Fiat (or MX5). The list is longer than that, but you get my point.

Yes, I get the horses for courses, and that the MX5/124 is in the 'roadster' box and GT86 in the 'sports coupe' one (although the contents of those boxes can easily spill from one box to another). In terms of looks I actually prefer the standard 124 (looks a lot nicer than the new MX5 to my eyes), but it was more the fact that unlike the Mustang (and leaving aside the price difference) the 86 and Arbarth 124 look on paper to be potentially interesting performance/handling competators at the smaller/lighter RWD end of the spectrum and a track/road head to head would be very interesting (perhaps in the case of the 86 the Cosworth version would be a better price/paper 0-60 match).