Sign in to follow this  
Deacon

Two really good articles on air filters

Came across these articles recently which test a variety of airfilters and induction kits. Interesting results and seem to show how important a tune is to get the best out of any mods.

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/scion-fr-sbrz-intake-test-pt-1-testing-factory-programed-ecu/6/

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/scion-fr-sbrz-intake-test-pt-2-testing-ecutek/

Good to see some decent empirical testing done.

Interesting to see, and highlights a major problem with intake tuning. Mostly you're just lying to the engine about airflow and causing it to run leaner than intended, a kind of hardware hack of ECU tuning. This brings me to the follow-up problem - most fuel-injected cars trim themselves over time to re-establish their commanded AFR. LTFT can also be applied to add fuel in open loop mode when gunning it, so depending on the ECU setup of the '86 and friends, the car can potentially correct out the false lean condition created by the intakes.

I haven't found anything definitive, but without a remap, it's possible many of these intakes will have their benefits compensated back out after some typical driving. They will definitely learn out the changes in closed loop driving. I suppose the top end will stay mostly uncorrected, because the car will never be able to learn at those RPMs.

Anyway, thanks for posting Deacon! We know this car likes a remap, so it's good to choose an intake to work with first. There are some definite bad options in there.

1 hour ago, nerdstrike said:

Anyway, thanks for posting Deacon! We know this car likes a remap, so it's good to choose an intake to work with first. There are some definite bad options in there.

No problem, as I said, nice to see some empirical data for a change.