Willtl

Window tinting

On 23 April 2016 at 10:14 PM, daidaiiro said:

:hehe: Yep, brake light.

Do you have a picture of your car with the tinted windows? I'm in two minds whether to get mine done as legally you can only tint the rear passenger and rear windscreen and I'm not sure how that will look with the front windows remaining un-tinted as they were from the factory.

25 minutes ago, Willtl said:

...I'm in two minds whether to get mine done as legally you can only tint the rear passenger and rear windscreen...

Not true, you can tint the front windows, here is the extract off the gov website ;)

Vehicle was first used on or after 1 April 1985

The front windscreen MUST allow a minimum of 75% light through and the front passenger windows; front side windows MUST allow a minimum of 70% light through.

Vehicle was first used before 1 April 1985

Both the front windscreen and front side windows MUST allow a minimum of 70% light through.

The front is a hassle if you was to go for the maximum limit you can have in my opinion in terms of dealing with the police if they stop you because it looks too dark to them.

I know there are a lot of cars out there with tinted fronts but i'm always curious to know if it affects their driving in the evenings.

1 hour ago, Varelco said:

Not true, you can tint the front windows, here is the extract off the gov website ;)

Vehicle was first used on or after 1 April 1985

The front windscreen MUST allow a minimum of 75% light through and the front passenger windows; front side windows MUST allow a minimum of 70% light through.

Vehicle was first used before 1 April 1985

Both the front windscreen and front side windows MUST allow a minimum of 70% light through.

I know this, but apparently the front passenger windows already have a slight tint of around 70%. It doesn't look like it, but compare the passenger glass to a normal sheet of glass. I was thinking of a 20% tint for the rear which will look quite different to the front passenger windows so wanted to see a picture of how this looks on a BRZ (or GT86). Been scanning the internet for pictures but most pics I've found were either from outside the UK or illegal UK tints.

1 hour ago, kurosagi01 said:

I know there are a lot of cars out there with tinted fronts but i'm always curious to know if it affects their driving in the evenings.

Pretty damn dark. I had a Ford Capri about 25 years ago where I had all windows tinted (apart form the front windscreen).

25 minutes ago, Willtl said:

Pretty damn dark. I had a Ford Capri about 25 years ago where I had all windows tinted (apart form the front windscreen).

Yeah i had my rear windows tinted on my previous car but i didn't go full limo dark which wasn't entirely bad. But a tinted window on the 86 may be a bit of a nightmare just because the rear view is lot harder to look back than a hatchback lol.

5 hours ago, Willtl said:

Do you have a picture of your car with the tinted windows? I'm in two minds whether to get mine done as legally you can only tint the rear passenger and rear windscreen and I'm not sure how that will look with the front windows remaining un-tinted as they were from the factory.

Not a great photo - taken a couple of years ago and it was foggy and old set of lights were on but you can see rear and side. Rear is 23%, fronts as they left factory. Glad those wheels have since gone.

8571683ec21a64af473f85c1dea46f88-large.j

Will take another later in the week, once it's been washed.

Thanks for posting the pic of your car, the difference between the front windows and the postage stamp rear passenger windows doesn't look too bad. Did you find that by tinting the rear windscreen the inside of the car became darker therefore making the front passenger windows also look darker? The place near to where I live that does the tinting said they will probably want to remove the rear windscreen as otherwise there is too little room to work in the back, although they did say they might try to do it without removing it. I guess my concerns are how the car will look when finished (they advised me not to remove the tint when done as there is a risk of pulling of the heater elements from the glass) and if there are any complications that arise from them removing the rear windscreen (leaking, heating element not working). They are a vehicle windscreen company though and they said they will take responsibility for any problems. Decisions, decisions.....

1 hour ago, Test Drives Unlimited said:

I was looking at Tinting but the cost put me off as it's very expensive here in West Sussex !!!!

How much is "very expensive"? I've been quoted £180 (includes VAT)

6 hours ago, Willtl said:

Thanks for posting the pic of your car, the difference between the front windows and the postage stamp rear passenger windows doesn't look too bad. Did you find that by tinting the rear windscreen the inside of the car became darker therefore making the front passenger windows also look darker? The place near to where I live that does the tinting said they will probably want to remove the rear windscreen as otherwise there is too little room to work in the back, although they did say they might try to do it without removing it. I guess my concerns are how the car will look when finished (they advised me not to remove the tint when done as there is a risk of pulling of the heater elements from the glass) and if there are any complications that arise from them removing the rear windscreen (leaking, heating element not working). They are a vehicle windscreen company though and they said they will take responsibility for any problems. Decisions, decisions.....

I wouldn't want to take the risk of having the rear screen removed myself. Too much potential for problems imho.

On 4/26/2016 at 0:10 PM, Test Drives Unlimited said:

I was quoted £250+ for the whole lot !

Sent from my Archos 53 Platinum using Tapatalk

Think I paid like £75 or something :lol:

51 minutes ago, daidaiiro said:

Still not a lot better. :(

2016-04-27 19.44.05a.jpg

Nah, it's really good, thanks for posting that. The un-tinted front window doesn't seem to stand out too much.

Found another place to do this for me, not as local but won't remove the windscreen. Also only £130 instead of £180 so taking the car in next week.