Sign in to follow this  
Ying86

Pressed Metal Plates

Hi All, 

Stuck in the office on a Saturday so I'm having a browse of the forum! 

Apologies if this has been asked before, I've done a quick search but couldn't find anything. 

I'm a big fan of pressed metal number plates and was wondering if anyone on here had a set? and if so would you mind me asking where you had them from. I know it's a real grey area as to whether they are legal or not. What are your opinions on this? 

Cheers all! 

Y

I used craigsplates.com before but they no longer offer them. Not much help. :rolleyes:

Yeah I've used them before on previous cars, was thinking dubmeister plates but don't really want the hassle of sending all documents off (I know that's the law but I just don't trust the postman!)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I didn't think there was anything wrong with them. They have to conform to all the regs re reflectivity, markings, font etc and some do, some don't. But don't think there are any rules about material and whether characters are 'raised'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've seen many a debate online as to whether they are legal or not. 

Probably not worth the risk, just want to lose the dealer plates though not a fan of driving around with their branding all over them and don't really fancy a halfrauds set. -_-

15 hours ago, rob275 said:

I'm sure there are a few people with them but obviously they aren't legal there is no grey area there.

Can I ask how do you know they are not legal? I haven't found any documents or anything backing this up - also vice versa I haven't found any to prove they are legal.

4 minutes ago, Ying86 said:

Can I ask how do you know they are not legal? I haven't found any documents or anything backing this up - also vice versa I haven't found any to prove they are legal.

They need to be made of a reflective material, metal isn't classed as a reflective material. This information is available on gov.uk, that said as Nicebiscuit said, some do seem to conform to the regs, though I don't understand why or how. You may get pulled and have to contact the manufacturer you got them from and all that crap. Most police turn a blind eye to them anyway. It's only the sad ones with nothing to do that will pull you up :P

Just now, rob275 said:

They need to be made of a reflective material, metal isn't classed as a reflective material. This information is available on gov.uk, that said as Nicebiscuit said, some do seem to conform to the regs, though I don't understand why or how. You may get pulled and have to contact the manufacturer you got them from and all that crap. Most police turn a blind eye to them anyway. It's only the sad ones with nothing to do that will pull you up :P

haha thanks! sounds more effort than its worth, I'll just get some nice new plastic ones printed I think :lol:

For what it's worth, I was going to get some myself, but had a set of the acrylic ones with the frames instead that RRG are doing now. They looked good enough not to bother with the pressed ones.

3 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

For what it's worth, I was going to get some myself, but had a set of the acrylic ones with the frames instead that RRG are doing now. They looked good enough not to bother with the pressed ones.

They're aluminium, Joe.

Oh - are they? Lol! Couldn't tell as you can't see the edges any more!

I knew my originals were as they were creased in several places by idiots who couldn't park...

19 hours ago, rob275 said:

But neither is the plastic that makes 'standard' number plates reflective, it is the reflective coating painted/printed on them that makes them so and not the base material. Aluminium plates with raised lettering are perfectly legal under UK/EU law so long as they have reflective paint (and the other requirements like the manufacturers name and post code etc.), and a number of companies sell these (just think about all those reflective road signs - made of metal!). I think the confusion arises where people have non-reflective metal plates in 'vintage' or US styles which are illegal, although non-reflective metal plates can be legally used on cars also covered and registered under vintage road tax arrangements (40 years old plus).

Yep. Agree with the above. The 'reflective material' thing has to be a red herring, otherwise the stock plates I have, which as Lauren pointed out are aluminium too, would be illegal.

The only difference between 'correctly' made embossed plates and mine would be that the letters are raised, and there is no legislation that prohibits that.

Of course the bit above about risking inconvenience at the hands of some jobsworth is still possible, much like certain other mods - window tints spring to mind...

The issue is the plates have to meet the legislation  BS AU 145d, you could argue well it's marked up so it's fine. But anyone could put a mark on them and say they are fine :P

The composition as a whole of the acrylic plate is reflective as it has a backing, this is not the case with the metal ones of course. Sure they could have reflective paint on them, but does it pass the tests? It's silly that actually there is very little to go on with no test data seeming to be readily available. Some plates may well have passed the tests but has every suppliers? Probably not.

Raised letters are fine as long as they are black, but as I said, 9/10 you won't get pulled anyway, regardless of whether they are legal or not.

http://www.bikechatforums.com/files/bs_au_145d.pdf

So are you suggesting my flat metal plates are not BS AU 145d compliant? As I can't see what difference the embossing makes...

If they aren't then practically every granny in Macc with a Yaris will be running illegal plates...

I'm suggesting they might not be, the BSI have approved some it seems so they may be legal. But there is no definitive way of knowing really unless you get a test certificate off the manufacturer. If they can't produce one then arguably they are illegal. Embossing doesn't make any difference provided they are black. For example, carbon effect lettering is illegal, it can cause the plate to not be picked up by ANPR (Which is the reason also that they must be reflective, if not the plate is unreadable)

It's likely RRG aren't stupid and the plate has the correct BS marking? Which in this instance i'd say is legit. Surely RRG aren't silly enough to be giving out illegal plates to grannies :P 

I doubt it. Mind you, who knows... Perhaps Richard is also doing a roaring trade in tints, under-sill LEDS and massive subwoofer boxes to Cheshire octogenarians...

5 hours ago, rob275 said:

For example, carbon effect lettering is illegal, it can cause the plate to not be picked up by ANPR (Which is the reason also that they must be reflective, if not the plate is unreadable)

Rob, I'm not sure what makes you think the carbon effect lettering is illegal as its technically black. Also I was at a motorway services on Sunday and the police were there with ANPR cameras checking people as they came in, I was just about to leave and an officer came over to have a chat about the car and he noticed my carbon effect number and said nice carbon number plate and didn't question me as to whether it was legal.

Here are the rules on the gov.uk website: https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates

It clearly states black lettering, there are two types of colours, solid black and the older black 2-tone. Just because a nice officer turned a blind eye to the fact you had carbon plates doesn't make it legal.

Technically black doesn't really cut it when it needs to be a strict rule with a B&W line. If it wasn't people would get away with murder. I probably sound really anal right now, I personally couldn't give a shit if your lettering was any colour :lol: