Guest griff

Hi from High Wycombe

Guest griff

Hello all

Planning on ditching the company car in November for a GT86, so thought I may as well say hello now while I'm swotting up and doing my research.
Hoping to arrange a test drive soon and see for myself how well they drive ;)

Cheers

Griff

Hey! :)

Before you buy one check around on here and the web for one thats had a few pennies spent on it! :)

Good luck with car hunting! :)

Guest griff

will be checking everywhere I can ;)

I know my ideal spec, but unless I go for new (unlikely, despite the discounts on carwow etc) I might have to compromise somewhere

grey
cloth trim
no spoiler
17" wheels
no mods

I know a few things to check for (rear light condensation, battery, sticking gears, rust inside pillar) & I know they should be warranty fixes (aftermarket light clusters might help with the first problem) but biggest concern is whether the rattles I'm hearing about are bearable. 

Guest griff

thought I should do a little update after someone kindly messaged me on here

went to local dealers and viewed a few cars a little while back - every car had its rear lights full of condensation and when I mentioned this to the sales guy he just tried to flannel me with 'ahh they're just unsealed units'. TBH his attitude put me off and in the end I went and bought something German instead. I know they are mean to be a fantastic drive but I also need a daily driver that won't set off my OCD with mystery rattles on the boring commute

I haven't ruled out getting a GT86 at some point in the future, but for now I'm hoping to hear that Toyota can iron out some of these minor issues

Unless the replacement German car is a Porsche, Audi RS/R8, Mercedes AMG or a BMW M, you're gonna feel like a pillock if/when you get a GT86. Nothing this side of £50k feels like a GT86, and I'm not saying that cause I have one. I wanted an M3/C63 AMG, and had the money to spend 2 or 3 times what I paid for the GT86, but nothing felt as good.

Every small issue the 86 has can be fixed for peanuts, or for free under the 5 year warranty. Minor, repairable issues are a small price to pay to have a smile plastered on your face every time you get in the car. Good luck with the new motor, we'll see you soon ;)

It seems that Toyota still don't understand that all they need to do to fix the light condensation is loosen the lights a tad, it's a shame that one salesman's attitude put you off.

4 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

Unless the replacement German car is a Porsche, Audi RS/R8, Mercedes AMG or a BMW M, you're gonna feel like a pillock if/when you get a GT86. Nothing this side of £50k feels like a GT86, and I'm not saying that cause I have one. I wanted an M3/C63 AMG, and had the money to spend 2 or 3 times what I paid for the GT86, but nothing felt as good.

If you are going to use your car as your everyday car, there is more to the decision than just "nothing this side of £50k feels like a GT86". I used to have a 325i Coupe and I loved the feel of it's performance coupled with the comfort if offered. It also had a sunroof, automatic wipers, a stereo head unit that was somehow better than the stock one in my BRZ from 2015, even though the BMW was from 2009! Taking all of those things into account, I would say the BMW is the better car, and it only cost me £13k when I bought it in 2013.

I would say that sometimes I feel a bit of a pillock for giving up my BMW.

Hope you enjoy your new car Griff!

Can't say I blame you... Having a decent dealer is almost more important than the car.

For me it was the opposite - I can get better service from Toyota locally than most of the German options.

That aside I'd still gladly run another BMW. It's not better or worse, just different. What you lose in involvement you gain in refinement, quality and sheer competence.

Hope you didn't buy an Audi though ;-). Never understood their ability to build cars that neither ride NOR handle...

I love my car deeply - but it's like a new classic in many respects so I can forgive it the odd thing. You don't half notice when you get back into something truly 'modern' though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Willtl said:

If you are going to use your car as your everyday car, there is more to the decision than just "nothing this side of £50k feels like a GT86". I used to have a 325i Coupe and I loved the feel of it's performance coupled with the comfort if offered. It also had a sunroof, automatic wipers, a stereo head unit that was somehow better than the stock one in my BRZ from 2015, even though the BMW was from 2009! Taking all of those things into account, I would say the BMW is the better car, and it only cost me £13k when I bought it in 2013.

I would say that sometimes I feel a bit of a pillock for giving up my BMW.

Hope you enjoy your new car Griff!

But he mentioned how well the car drove, so clearly he was more interested in a great drive than comfort or refinement. As a driver's car, there's nothing I've experienced this side of £50k that comes close.

If someone wanted comfort and refinement and was looking at a GT86, I would wonder if that person was named Stevie Wonder.

Guest griff
On 7/20/2016 at 1:42 PM, S18 RSG said:

Every small issue the 86 has can be fixed for peanuts, or for free under the 5 year warranty. Minor, repairable issues are a small price to pay to have a smile plastered on your face every time you get in the car. Good luck with the new motor, we'll see you soon ;)

it was none of the above :D I bought a Polo GTI 
going from a BMW (3 series coupe) I do miss RWD a bit but it's still a lot of fun having just shy of 200bhp on tap in something that size.
Most of my driving is a fairly unadventurous commute so the chances to really explore driving dynamics aren't that common - that said the polo has so far shown a liking to corners (it has the e-diff from the golf GTI) and ride is decent with active suspension (certainly better than my old Audi even with magnetic ride)

I actually thought the look of the interior was fine, my main concern was the rattling and a feeling that I'd get fobbed off at every turn by the local dealer - maybe I should have looked past it but it's hard to ignore a 40 page thread (on the other forum) and I couldn't bring myself to rip the guts out of a new car to fix something that should be sorted in the factory

I still have a soft spot for the GT86, maybe in a few years I'll pass the VW on to my better half and go back to RWD...

I quite like those... Air of Mk2 golf gti about them I think and deserve to be more popular. Think they suffer a bit from no one knowing they exist and remembering the slightly underwhelming 1.4tsi predecessor. Nice car, classy and understated, and should hold its value pretty well.

Personally I quite like a decent FWD car too. My second choice would have been a Fiesta ST, (not least because no one near had a demo Polo) but if you thought the Toyota interior was crap...

The Fiesta is a superb car to drive but the interior was designed by someone who wanted the Millenium Falcon for Xmas as a kid but didn't get it, and is now taking their revenge...

Guest griff
Just now, Nicebiscuit said:

I quite like those... Air of Mk2 golf gti about them I think and deserve to be more popular. Think they suffer a bit from no one knowing they exist and remembering the slightly underwhelmed 1.4tsi predecessor. Nice car, classy and understated, and should hold its value pretty well.

Personally I quite like a decent FWD car too. My second choice would have been a Fiesta ST, (not least because no one near had a demo Polo) but if you thought the Toyota interior was crap...

The Fiesta is a superb car to drive but the interior was designed by someone who wanted the Millenium Falcon for Xmas as a kid but didn't get it, and is now taking their revenge...

I did consider the Fiesta very briefly as they're supposed to be a good drive, but couldn't get past the look of the outside (or inside as you mentioned it's terrible!), would have felt a bit like an old man in a teenager's car. While the Polo is small by modern standards, it's within a few mm of my old Mk2 golf and I think they did a nice job on the design, both in & out - I feel the Golf has got a bit bloated over the years. To date I've only seen five of them on the road (including mine) and it's more than rapid enough to get me into trouble (0-62 time only 0.2 secs off the Golf GTI)

Few sweeteners like free insurance for a year, 4 grand off list and a cheap offer on servicing helped too as I'm moving back into private ownership

I too would take the Polo over the Golf. Where hot hatches are concerned the smaller, the better, and the Polos hardly tiny these days...

Funnily enough I've been driving around in a courtesy Fiesta for the last week with the puny 1.25 and it's STILL great fun to drive. But god it's horrible to live with.

As for the comments on why anyone would choose a Gt86 if you wanted refinement? Well these things are relative... It's perfectly fine and comfy as a day to day motoring hack. It's not like owning a Caterham or something...

But conversely after a crappy day at work a VW is a nice place to be, and on those occasions perhaps worth sacrificing a few degrees of driving pleasure...

It's all good. The only cars I hate are those that appear to do NOTHING particularly well. (Yes I'm looking at you Peugeot 207 and Audi A3)

5 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

As for the comments on why anyone would choose a Gt86 if you wanted refinement? Well these things are relative... It's perfectly fine and comfy as a day to day motoring hack. It's not like owning a Caterham or something...

But conversely after a crappy day at work a VW is a nice place to be, and on those occasions perhaps worth sacrificing a few degrees of driving pleasure...

My point wasn't that the GT86 isn't refined, it's refined for a sports car, but more that if your main concern was comfort and refinement, you wouldn't be looking at a GT86, or really any sports car. You'd be looking at Audi's, BMWs etc.

And while I understand the appeal of a comfortable car after a shitty day, there's little that cheers me up more than throwing this car around a roundabout and getting a little drift on. That's worth the sacrifice in comfort for me.

Different cars for different people.

I suppose. I guess my point is Its possible to like anything that has a point to it and a bit of character

My last car was a Saab. Epic in a straight line, hilariously dodgy in bends but like sitting in a stupidly fast armchair. Thus I loved it.

My other car is s Citroen Berlingo . I love that because it's a big square useful box, and not pretending otherwise. Also fun to drive quickly because it shouldn't be possible.

I love the GT86 because the compromises are true to its character.

For me the choices were the Fiesta, the Toyota or a V8 Jag (really). Couldn't be more different, but all interesting and with a bit of identity.

What I can't stand is when I borrow a car (usually an Audi) which is supposed to be refined luxurious, and it has 35 profile tyres and a friggin' awful ride. What's the earthly point of that?

(See also small cars that don't handle, and estates with no boot space or practically any SUV that couldn't manage a muddy field...)