Neil_turbo

installed a new head unit and indicators stopped working!

Hi all

Bit of a strange one....

I installed a dashlinq head unit 2 weeks ago and have used the car since. 

I had to jump start it this morning (not flat but not quite enough left in the battery!)

Got off the drive and noticed the indicators were no longer working! 

Do these earth through the original head unit loom or is something else going wrong?! 

I do have an aftermarket relay in for the TOM s tail lights so this could be a weak spot I guess

Cheers

Neil 

That's an odd one, and would suggest it's unrelated. 

I've driven without any head unit installed before and also driven without any fuses for the head unit installed. 

Can't see why they would wire anything into the head unit. I know they plumb speed into the harness for Navigation. But other than that not sure. 

I have heard of TOM relays failing! Pretty sure they had a no questions asked warranty replacement. 

Cheers Jay. Didn't think it made sense!

I read that a few times as well so opted for the tapturn as couldn't be bothered with messing around with it if it did fail.

I should have the original and the TOMs in the loft so will dig them out at the weekend and try replacing. 

This is turning into more hassle than it should be!!!!

2 hours ago, GT86Jay said:

Can't see why they would wire anything into the head unit. I know they plumb speed into the harness for Navigation. But other than that not sure.

I think the speed is for speed sensitive volume (which I think the standard HU has). Navigation doesn't need a speed sensor reading; it determines speed from the GPS.

2 minutes ago, Furnate said:

I think the speed is for speed sensitive volume (which I think the standard HU has). Navigation doesn't need a speed sensor reading; it determines speed from the GPS.

Not true on this car. If you disconnect the speed sensor wire the Navigation won't work correctly. It uses a mixture of both. Speed signal and GPS speed. This way it helps continue the speed when the GPS loses signal, like through a tunnel and such. 

It's also used to disable certain features whilst moving so you can't watch video and access some apps. 

Loose connector to the hazard  light switch maybe? Don't know if its the same but i installed a HU on my mr2 in the past and after the indicators weren't working.. I had left the hazards unplugged. Now I'm not sure if you even have to remove that part of the dash to get the HU out on the 86 but if so, then this could possibly be the root cause, with very coincidental timing?

Hi Dan

I remember the same issue on my old MR2s!  I used to keep a spare hazard switch in the car as the dash was in and out that often!!

After not having time to touch it over the weekend, finally got up the loft tonight to get my spare relays out. Battery was completely flat so jumped it before starting and hey presto - all working again.

So haven't got a clue what went on there, but going to keep a spare in the car incase this happens again :-/

I took the car on a little drive last night after jumping it and thought i had put enough charge in it, but on trying to start it this morning there just wasn't quite enough so had to jump start it again :-/

Good news - indicators were working before

Bad new - after jumping they have stopped working again!

Going to leave it a few hours and see if it resets itself again. wondering if the tapturn relay doesn't like jump starts (posted on the US forums to see if anyone else has had the same issue)

driven to work this morning in true BMW style with no indicators as needed to charge the battery!

Problem on the indicators solved!

Quote form the tapturn website....

After battery maintenance, boosts, disconnection, or accidental discharge you may need to restore TapTurn with a hard reset. Once the battery is in good condition, pull the hazard fuse, then plug the fuse back in. Follow with a soft reset to restore TapTurn to its original shipped condition.

Simples.