Withavee

Looking to return to RWD

Hi All, Peter here from Leicester

Hoping the new year will bring a car change to a GT86 Auto, white or red, will then be getting rid of my Subaru SVX.

Car history includes Lotus Elise and Eunos V-Spec. Enjoy more relaxed motoring now but always felt more at home with RWD.

Any buying advice would be appreciated

Happy New Year to all.

Welcome aboard. I think just the usual rules apply to buying a used car. They are pretty tough and hardy really. Checking the service book etc and ensuring it drives okay are the main things. 

If it's cold, they can be a little tough on the change down from third to second gear, but this should pass after a few minutes of driving. 

A bit too young to be having issues yet. Anyway, they're all still under warranty.

My top tip would be to get a few quotes on a new one just to see. In the end that's what I did as used values still seem quite strong, yet decent new deals can be had...

Welcome to the club, hope your search brings you a goodun. Don't worry about what Lauren said regarding cold gears, that issue only really occurs on manuals, since you are looking at Autos, I don't believe there to be any gear box issues on the Autos unless you wanted a serious amount of power added to the car. Check in wet weather for the rear lights getting condensation in them and once warm, listen for loud cricket noises, these issues are all covered under warranty and I believe there to be a bulletin for them.

Any plans for mods? Car Shows? Trackdays?

The Lotus was lowered and upgraded suspension but kept the engine standard and found I could keep up with most of the cars. People forget how important a good set up is. Did a couple of track days back then, today it seems to be more following my son. He builds and races drift cars (check out Slide Motorsport), currently a BMW E92 shell with an LS3 under the bonnet!

The Eunos V-spec was also lowered (when I got it) but I took it back to standard. Local owners club was not much fun so kept to myself.

Have a Subaru SVX at the moment and that has been to a few shows, less than 60 left on the road these days so it usually gets noticed.