mutley00

Category D - to buy or not to buy?

I'm considering buying this car. It has now been repaired and looks as new.  The seller seems genuine enough, but I'm worried about what horrors may hide under the shiny new front end. Strangely the airbags didn't go off, so I'm thinking it was a fairly low speed impact despite the damage. All thoughts welcome. Thanks, Andrew

GT86 - compressed.jpg

Does look fairly low speed. For me it'd depend on the price and how long I was planning to keep it. It'll be hard to sell on obviously unless priced low so factor that in.

I wouldn't be put off per se though. Plenty of second hand cars have been damaged and repaired and you'd never know. Especially if they're company cars as repairs don't usually even go through the insurers. Nothing wrong with a properly repaired car if priced accordingly.

Perhaps some form of independent inspection?

If you can get it for not much money and you have everything to state that is has been repaired properly with certification (or whatever it is, I don't actually know). I think you also have to accept that it's value will be considerably less when it comes to move it on and obviously as a result of it being a Cat D, it will be harder to sell. 

Something to consider is that damage needs to be quite extensive for say a two year old car to be written off. Consider that on an older car it really could be because of minor damage that would be nothing to worry about. I'd worry a lot more though on a car as new as this. 

That pic you posted does not give a good idea of the damage, I'd want far more detail than that. The front crossmember is likely damaged on that car which could in turn cause issues for the chassis legs. But all said and done I can only advise that you are meticulous with regard to checking everything you possibly can before you make a decision. 

That is a good point about the cost of the repair, it must have been a pretty extensive repair estimate to write off a 2 year old car.

You'd be surprised... It soon adds up. Plus it doesn't have to come to the value of the car as the insurers can flog the salvage also (which is how this car is up for sale)