Sign in to follow this  
Willtl

Pinking type sound

Sometimes when accelerating I get a kind of "pinking" sound. In the manual it says if you get a slight knocking sound on acceleration, this is normal. Is this what I'm hearing? Kind of spoils the effect....

Is the car new? Any knocking should be taken care of by the knock sensors pulling the timing?

If I were you I would get it back to the dealer immediately as it "could" be a DI injector seal gone? I have certainly never heard mine pink.

Yes, it is a new car but I would describe the sound more like pinking than knocking. Using it just now and accelerating in 3rd I couldn't get the sound. Going to monitor it a bit longer, could be the fuel type, possibly me trying to accelerate in too high a gear or something else.

Sorry, "knocking" is a term which I think came from the States. I should have said Pinking.

OK, so if it's random, and only happens when you heavily load the engine, perhaps you shouldn't worry too much. If it becomes a regular occurrence, get on to the dealer.

Just took my son out with me with the aim of him recording the sound but he couldn't hear it! I'm not going to overly worry about it, it has a 5 year engine warranty.

3 hours ago, Willtl said:

possibly me trying to accelerate in too high a gear or something else.

Can you give me an example, because it will rattle the bottom end if you floor it at 2000rpm in fourth as an example. Just trying to understand. 

After checking again earlier, the sound is not heard when labouring, it kind of accompanies the exhaust acceleration sound, something it seems only I can make out. Maybe it is related to the exhaust but I just think it is something different.

Continuous. I've e-mailed the dealer to see when I can take the car in for an inspection. I've built up enough issues now to make it worth my while taking it in - this issue, white mark on the driver's door, reversing sensor sometimes has a continuous tone and scratches on the roof that can't be felt but can be seen in light.