Sign in to follow this  
shiftspark

Bridgestone RE070 tyres

Has anyone tried these yet ? I was talking to a guy running a big power Scooby on 1A tyres who said they were very good in the dry but not so good in the wet. Also have stiff side walls.They come in 225/45/17 so should fit the original wheels?

Thoughts ?

Edited by shiftspark

Have you tried 225/45/17's on a 7" wheel @Tareim?

My track tyres are 215/45/17 but are as wide as a 225 normal road tyre and I had absolutely no problems with them on a 7" rim.

Never tried the re070's @shiftspark but they'd need to be a massive improvement on the re050's as I found those pretty dire as soon as they'd worn a little (although perfectly good when new)

There will be too much flex with a 225 on a 7" rim. I reckon there is still too much for my liking on an 8" rim with that tyre size. I tried that last year and even with 94Y Advans I hated the flex. I tested Keith's 245's on an even wider rim, but the sidewall flex was not good either. 

So, you can put 225's on a 7" rim. Is it ideal? No? Some people say they like sidewall flex but it just muddies the feel and the response IMO. 

For example I run 215's on an 8" rim, it's very precise indeed. But these things do become a matter of preference. 

Edited by Lauren

Bare in mind, whilst what Lauren is saying is generally true, some tyres are better than others and its always best to look at the spec for the tyre. For example, Yoko recommend 225 on a 7.5 rim for the AD08s... probably due to the stiffer sidewall.

Have you tried 225/45/17's on a 7" wheel @Tareim?

My track tyres are 215/45/17 but are as wide as a 225 normal road tyre and I had absolutely no problems with them on a 7" rim.

Never tried the re070's @shiftspark but they'd need to be a massive improvement on the re050's as I found those pretty dire as soon as they'd worn a little (although perfectly good when new)

not done 225 on a 7 but have on a 7.5 and that's at the limit for me if really pushing it

I didn't realise you'd tried other wheels on your BRZ @Tareim

As Lauren said I imagine a lot comes down to personal preference - I love mine in the track tyres with the equivalent 225 width but maybe the stiffer sidewalls of the track tyres helps.

I remember the AD08's were effectively the next size up with the square profile. Your right , I will have to get a wider rim to suit the 225's.Having watched a few videos comparing tyres on the '86 I will probably stay on 215's.

Thanks forum gurus! :)