Keethos

Declaring accidents that weren't on the road?

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask what people's opinions and hopefully someone from one of the insurance companies to answer.

As I had a slight off last year while on track, obviously I'm not covered under my normal road insurance, but since I use the car for business, I was advised by the boss to let Sky know what damaged I've caused.  Because this wasn't a road accident and no claim was made, when I apply for new quotes, should I still be declaring this as an accident?

Because I told Sky of my accident, they have mentioned it in my renewal letters in the "Accidents and Losses" section, quoting that it was an accident, the date and then "Yes" under the "Claim on Proposer's Policy" which doesn't sound right to me but then they've put in the "Description" "notification purposes only no vehicle involved hit object (tiles)" which should have been tyres but hay ho, anyways, not too sure why it ways yes under the claim bit but they have said last year that it hadn't affect my premium in anyway, just wondering if I need to mention this to the other insurance companies I get quotes from.

Thoughts?

Keith

You didn't make a claim it was on private land no third parties only thing that comes to mind if your car had not been repaired to a roadworthy standard and that caused a accident but this is not the case trouble with insurance soon as you mention the word accident they hike the price 

It was more the worry of if I did have a road accident after the track incident, I might have voided my insurance for not mentioning it etc.  My worry now is whether these details will be passed onto whoever I get my next insurance with from Sky.

But that's what I would think anyways however they ask if you have had any accidents, whether you claimed or not or whether anyone else was involved or not.....

Edited by Keethos

They will be passed on for sure.. But to be fair I think in most cases, an accident doesn't necessarily mean a higher premium.. It tends to mean a lower one as they think you will be a safer driver because of it. But it's irrelevant. Because you're still going to go balls deep on track anyway regardless.

You should correct the 'tiles' bit. Makes it sound like you did this...

a82e97a81f2e17c6a6ee1c1777fb8e3a.jpg

Seriously though - I wouldn't have declared it. I don't think a track day incident counts as a road accident.

Makes no sense anyway - they trying to calculate how much of a tool you are on the road. If you're doing all your daft sideways stuff on track well away from people they'd have to pay out to I'm sure the insurers would approve.

I definitely would not have declared it. It doesn't make any sense to. Insurance companies are more interested in whether a claim has been made over anything else. An accident like you had is not relevant to insurance as there were no claims. 

Think of it this way, say you had a small bump on the road, hitting an object and there were no claims, would you declare it? This is no different. 

I would definitely explain the situation with any new company, as you've already disclosed it.

Any "real" underwriter would realise that this incident you talk of doesn't count. As Lauren said, you wouldn't tell the insurance company if you reversed into a post and broke a light lens would you??

Insurance companies amaze me. Take my Cat C write off as an example... Some won't touch it, some hike the price, some don't care. NOWHERE on any documentation does it state what it was actually written off for!!

I've never ever reported any of my minor bumps and scrapes over the years as either I've paid myself for the damage (e.g., catching my gate post along the door), or the other driver has paid cash (parking scrape). But yes, there are issues of get out clauses for insurances companies and legally you are obliged to report to an insurance company any accident that has caused damage or injury. However the legal basis of this, and what insurance companies are most concerned with, is where other drivers have potential claims. Where you have simply damaged your own car on private land with no injuries and no one else involved then if you don't tell an insurance company they would never know so it is not worth doing so - although I would also distinguish there between cosmetic damage and something that could affect legal road-worthiness.

And of course the reason not to report is that even without a claim you still get a marker put on you that I find ard to believe is not designed to raise premiums.

Edited by Captain Duff