Sign in to follow this  
Jason_E

Retrofit OEM Nav?

Hello there!

Is there anyway to add Navigation to my OEM System? It's a 2012 Car with the touch screen system (Sorry I'm new, is this referred to as "Touch & Go"?)

Thanks.

Jason

The only way is via Toyota, it's just a software upgrade.

EDIT: It's probably worth pointing out it's really not worth the money. Get yourself a Brodit clip and use Waze.

Edited by rob275

The only way is via Toyota, it's just a software upgrade.

EDIT: It's probably worth pointing out it's really not worth the money. Get yourself a Brodit clip and use Waze.

I thought this may be the case. My fairly new Garmin has actually started taking second place to Waze lately! 

Thanks for the reply!

Jason: As standard we have Touch I in our cars. To add "& Go" or "& Go+" (3d navi / voice functions / for some timeframe "free" map updates) one needs to purchase Go (or Go+) navigation hardware module (boltable to bottom of Touch headunit) kit (includes some wiring harnesses and mounting bracket) + gps antenna.

It's very costly (i guess around £500?), map updates are rare/outdated and very costly and you'll lack many useful navigation features. About only thing good for it that it's offline, and it might be easier to resell car with all "stock", instead of aftermarket HU/Navi.

Just as Rob wrote, smartphone with Waze (free. online though) or any other navi app is much better choice. Even those that are payware for initial purchase or map updates, are much cheaper, have more features/are easier to use.

He was wrong though on that Go functionality is software-only addon (software-ish are firmware/map updates). Hardware Go module is needed.

Pitty that our stock headunit is Touch I, not Touch II, later one has also Mirrorlink function letting use it's touchscreen for smartphone output/input, letting display/run it's apps on bigger screen of stock headunit, and also use it's touch input capabilities to pass to smarthpone.

Edited by Church

Jason: As standard we have Touch I in our cars. To add "& Go" or "& Go+" (3d navi / voice functions / for some timeframe "free" map updates) one needs to purchase Go (or Go+) navigation hardware module (boltable to bottom of Touch headunit) kit (includes some wiring harnesses and mounting bracket) + gps antenna.

It's very costly (i guess around £500?), map updates are rare/outdated and very costly and you'll lack many useful navigation features. About only thing good for it that it's offline, and it might be easier to resell car with all "stock", instead of aftermarket HU/Navi.

Just as Rob wrote, smartphone with Waze (free. online though) or any other navi app is much better choice. Even those that are payware for initial purchase or map updates, are much cheaper, have more features/are easier to use.

He was wrong though on that Go functionality is software-only addon (software-ish are firmware/map updates). Hardware Go module is needed.

Pitty that our stock headunit is Touch I, not Touch II, later one has also Mirrorlink function letting use it's touchscreen for smartphone output/input, letting display/run it's apps on bigger screen of stock headunit, and also use it's touch input capabilities to pass to smarthpone.

Wow! Thanks for the all the info, there's some useful stuff in there for me. As above, I quite like Waze over my standalone Sat-Nav unit so I think it wins this round! 

It's a nice unit to have "built in" and fine for simple routing, has a few POI's built in... but for alternative routes, speed upates, traffic etc it's very behind compared to google based mapping (my maps will always show the M1 being 50mph due to roadworks now and I'd have to pay to change that). For the £500+ it would cost to fit I'd look elsewhere.

I bought a sim free Nokia 930 Windows phone (£200) which has a free offline sat nav that we used in europe, much better than the Garmin unit the co-driver borrowed which basically died after crossing into Belgium. Also has gmaps, waze etc, syncs with bluetooth. My phone gets more use in the car than it does for work.

Oh, forgot to add, that among good points of T&G is also that it's rather good .. compared to other vendor stock navigation systems (btw, also very costly options with costly map updates). But it's "good among worst", not "good or best navi in general". Like winning in special Olympics :). If it had been way cheaper (eg. £100), then i would see market niche for it of "i want install OEM/stock only options/parts", but given it's tenfold price to that of normal navigation commercial apps for smartphone, that's no-no too. This is no porsche, this is budget sporty coupe. Owners very probably evaluate more sensibility & price/value of spendings on it.

Cheers people!

On my 4150+ Mile roadtrip in the summer, my Garmin was Faultless. But like I said, since being back home I've been trialing Waze and I really like it. Especially for the traffic updates and really accurate ETA's.

Oh, forgot to add, that among good points of T&G is also that it's rather good .. compared to other vendor stock navigation systems (btw, also very costly options with costly map updates). But it's "good among worst", not "good or best navi in general". Like winning in special Olympics :). If it had been way cheaper (eg. £100), then i would see market niche for it of "i want install OEM/stock only options/parts", but given it's tenfold price to that of normal navigation commercial apps for smartphone, that's no-no too. This is no porsche, this is budget sporty coupe. Owners very probably evaluate more sensibility & price/value of spendings on it.

Toyota are not a software or IT house and cannot hit the volume of Garmin sales for example. Therefore they are crazy expensive.