Zmithy

BC Racing Coilovers

Another stupid question from me.

Just getting round to fitting some BC racing coilovers and they have the metal top mounts on. Do you keep them on or swap for the rubber ones off the OE suspension?

Alex

I have metal ones on the front.

The redesigned ones should come with a tapered spring for the rear and you have to use your standard top mounts. This was to eliminate the noise transfer problem myself and a lot of others had.

So, in short. Metal front, OEM rear (as long as you've got the tapered spring).

If your rears came with a metal top mount already fitted, send them back and ask for the new ones. Trust me, you'll have them back off after your first drive due to the noise.

Agh thanks Steve.. Wish I'd read your comment before I put them on.. I had the tapered spring and was like this is too big for the mount, so shoved the metal too mount on the rears. Drove it with no issues..

Will probably be whipping them off again on Wednesday then!

There should be like an arrangement of spacers or washers with it as well which you fit with your standard top mount.

If you haven't got the instructions for that I'll check my email and see if I can find them :)

I'll get that sorted shortly.

I can easily fit things like this, but it's things like which direction do the front top mounts sit.

I've used logic.. I think. The struts have letters on, L for left and R for right. Now I think I'm right in assuming these just stand for which way to face the top mount rather than which side of the car to fit the strut.

This is my left hand (near side) strut with the R I assume means to point that part to the right?

3B943D24-B6BD-4361-ACD8-CDC02BA05282.jpg

I'm pretty sure you've got those the wrong way around. L is for the left hand side of the car R for the right. That's how mine and every other set I've ever seen installed are.

Just been and checked mine and you have them the wrong way round unfortunately...

Ohh and I also kept the BC rear top mounts and don't get any of the knocking that other people have. Didn't have to use camber bolts either on the front (from your other thread) and I would always avoid using them unless really necessary.

Not too sure if there'll be any problems having the left and right the wrong way round but in terms of rotating the top mounts so the camber adjustment is perfectly horizontal isn't 100% necessary, mine were deliberately installed at an angle to allow a bit of caster and camber adjustment. Obviously if you don't really want any caster adjustment then have them horizontal like others have mentioned above so you are purely adjusting the camber only.

I did try putting them the other way round, but the hole for the drop link was on the other side of the strut. So I thought that can't be right.

So for example if I'm sat in the wheel arch of the RIGHT hand side, the drop link hole is on the left of the OE strut, with the brake hose bolted on the right.

I've put the Coilie back in that mirrors this. If I was to put it on the other way, the brake hose won't reach to bolt into the strut..

I think someone's just put the top mounts on wrong? And I need to twist them round to get them to suit?

As smudge says... As a little helper there are R and L marks on the strutbraces where they join the bulkhead.

I have mine the other way round to what you have them fitted.

I would try changing the top mounts around...

I wish I'd bought BC coil overs now. I have Ohlins from Apex Performance Parts, delivered damaged and they're not interested!!

£2500 on coil overs and not a leg to stand on!!

Edit.. looks like Apex are getting this sorted now.

I wish I'd bought BC coil overs now. I have Ohlins from Apex Performance Parts, delivered damaged and they're not interested!!

£2500 on coil overs and not a leg to stand on!!

That is pretty hardcore, I would of thought Ohlins would be all over things like this given their price point?

Jerrick

Feel for you nige! These coilies are rather good tbh.. But then I've never used the Ohlins ones so wouldn't know!

Can someone else who has the BC Racing coilies do me a favour? Put your car on full LEFT lock, and take a picture of the RIGHT side suspension, just like I have below. See if it matches up with mine. I can't find fitting instructions anywhere.

I appreciate the strut tops have left and right letters on them, however if I was to put the strut with the R sticker on top of it on right hand side of the car, the drop link would not fit on, nor would the brake hose bolt into it.

If anyone could take a picture like mine of the Right hand wheel arch it would be much appreciated. Can of beer if I ever see you at a meet!

74172272-1CD2-4D5C-9275-7D31AC5C7D2A.jpg

I spoke to fensport who said that my logic makes sense.. But you guys have them different so have rather confused me!

If anyone fancies posting a picture of their top mounts installed too that would be ace

Zmithy I would guess that either the top mounts or bottom mounts have been assembled the wrong way round... (Can't remember where you said you got them from but maybe they were stripped and greased by them before assembly, that's what I did with mine)

As Keith said could either leave as is and have a bit of caster adjustment as well or switch them around yourself... should just be a case of unscrewing the bottom mounts right off the damper unit and swapping them.

That is pretty hardcore, I would of thought Ohlins would be all over things like this given their price point?

Jerrick

They are. now.

All sorted now. Top mounts all mounted correctly, just span off the bottom section and swapped them over.

appreciate all the help from everyone, so thankyou for that.

Now for another question! Now that I have these coulovers, so I need camber bolts or not?

All sorted now. Top mounts all mounted correctly, just span off the bottom section and swapped them over.

appreciate all the help from everyone, so thankyou for that.

Now for another question! Now that I have these coulovers, so I need camber bolts or not?

Not for the front as you have the camber plates. If you want to alter the rear cambers though you'll need wither lower control arms or camber bushes. If you go the camber bush route the whiteline ones are far easier to adjust than the superpro ones.

The camber plates alone may not give you the amount of camber you are after, KW ones didnt go as much as I wanted anyway so ended up getting bolts aswell.